• Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 6 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 6 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 6 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 6 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 6 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 6 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 7 days ago

Hernandez Discusses Fort Larned Mishap

Brian Hernandez Fort Larned
Jockey Brian Hernandez Jr., unceremoniously unseated from Janis Whitham’s 2012 Grade I Breeders’ Cup Classic winner Fort Larned leaving the gate in Saturday’s Grade II Gulfstream Park Handicap, emerged unscathed from that mishap and willing to talk about it outside the jockeys’ room at Fair Grounds Race Course shortly before Sunday’s first race.

“This is a tough game,” said Hernandez with a smile the morning after the horse he rode to victory in last year’s Breeders’ Cup Classic ran without him in his 2013 debut in South Florida. “It’s unbelievable that something like that can happen, but it does in racing. They tell me they clocked the horse in something like 1:30 for the mile. The horse ran huge without me.

“I’m fine today,” said Hernandez. “I didn’t get hurt at all. The only thing that was bruised was my pride. Now my only concern is for the horse. I hope he comes out of the race without any problems.

“Ian (Wilkes, Fort Larned’s trainer) called me last night to make sure I was all right,” said Hernandez. “I told him I was fine and that I just hoped the horse was all right, too, and my only concern was for the horse. I thought that was a very nice thing for Ian to do. He’s got a lot of class.

“I caught a 10 o’clock flight out of Florida last night,” concluded Hernandez, “so I’m back here ready to ride again today.”

Hernandez won two of the first four races Sunday with two more mounts to go.

Older Comments about Hernandez Discusses Fort Larned Mishap...

Glad to hear all involved are ok.