• Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 1 day ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 1 day ago
  • Accelerate (1-1) rallies to win the Los Alamitos Derby (G2).Posted 2 days ago
  • Connect (10-1) upsets the Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 2 days ago
  • Songbird (1-5) gets win number 11 in the Cotillion (G1) at Parx Racing.Posted 2 days ago
  • Noholdingback Bear (3-1) wins the Gallant Bob (G3) at Parx Racing.Posted 2 days ago
  • 2015 Turf Champion Big Blue Kitten has been retired from racing, via the Chad Brown barn.Posted 5 days ago
  • No catching Sarah Sis (10-1) in the Presque Isle Downs Masters.Posted 7 days ago
  • Victory to Victory  7-1) pulls clear in the Grade 1 Natalma Stakes.Posted 8 days ago
  • Good Samaritan (3-1) rolls to a Breeders' Cup birth with a Summer Stakes win.Posted 8 days ago

Hernandez Discusses Fort Larned Mishap

Brian Hernandez Fort Larned
Jockey Brian Hernandez Jr., unceremoniously unseated from Janis Whitham’s 2012 Grade I Breeders’ Cup Classic winner Fort Larned leaving the gate in Saturday’s Grade II Gulfstream Park Handicap, emerged unscathed from that mishap and willing to talk about it outside the jockeys’ room at Fair Grounds Race Course shortly before Sunday’s first race.

“This is a tough game,” said Hernandez with a smile the morning after the horse he rode to victory in last year’s Breeders’ Cup Classic ran without him in his 2013 debut in South Florida. “It’s unbelievable that something like that can happen, but it does in racing. They tell me they clocked the horse in something like 1:30 for the mile. The horse ran huge without me.

“I’m fine today,” said Hernandez. “I didn’t get hurt at all. The only thing that was bruised was my pride. Now my only concern is for the horse. I hope he comes out of the race without any problems.

“Ian (Wilkes, Fort Larned’s trainer) called me last night to make sure I was all right,” said Hernandez. “I told him I was fine and that I just hoped the horse was all right, too, and my only concern was for the horse. I thought that was a very nice thing for Ian to do. He’s got a lot of class.

“I caught a 10 o’clock flight out of Florida last night,” concluded Hernandez, “so I’m back here ready to ride again today.”

Hernandez won two of the first four races Sunday with two more mounts to go.

Older Comments about Hernandez Discusses Fort Larned Mishap...

Glad to hear all involved are ok.