• Gold Rush Dancer (14-1) pulls the upset in Del Mar's Real Good Deal Stakes.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Exaggerator is going in the Haskell, according to Steve Edelson of the Asbury Park Press.Posted 21 hours ago
  • The Gurkha wins a Sussex thriller over Galileo Gold and Ribchester.Posted 1 day ago
  • Amis Gizmo romps home in the Prince of Wales at Fort Erie.Posted 1 day ago
  • Long On Value (7-2) cuts back and rolls in the Lucky Coin Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • Songbird repels the challenge of Carina Mia, and romps home in the CCA Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Up With the Birds swings to victory in Woodbine's Nijinsky Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Tin Type Gal rides the rail to victory in Monmouth's Boiling Springs.Posted 3 days ago
  • California Chrome edges Dortmund in a San Diego Handicap showdown.Posted 4 days ago

Havelock Shoots and Scores in Hanshin Cup!

On a warm and sunny day in Chicago, usual turf sprinter Havelock takes home the Hanshin Cup by a neck over post time favorite Lonesome Street!

(Photo courtesy of Four Footed Fotos)

To see my recording of the post parade, CLICK HERE

Post time favorite Lonesome Street resorted to previous form from last year by battling for, then taking the lead through to the top of the stretch. Initially it appeared as though he was going to run away with this race. With fractions of 24:0 and 47:4 it didn’t seem as though the race was going to fall apart. But it did, sort of.

The victor, Havelock, was dead last through a half mile. It was at that point that winning jockey Florent Geroux loosened the reigns and asked Havelock to pick it up a little bit. He saved ground on the turn which was a very good strategy for a horse that wasn’t accustomed to running that long. Geroux stated, “I didn’t want to go five wide the whole way so I took him inside on the turn to try to save ground. I had enough horse in the turn but I didn’t want to make the lead too soon.”

(My sad attempt at the finish line photo)

He gained a lot of ground at the top of the stretch and battled Lonesome Street and second choice Scotus to finally prevail by a neck.

(Winning jockey Florent Geroux with the Hanshin Cup trophy - photo by me!)

(Havelock in the winner's circle - photo by me!)

(Havelock the winner - photo by me!)

Using my “great” handicapping skills, I tossed Havelock as a contender because I thought the mile on the Polytrack was the wrong distance and surface for him. At 8-1 almost 9-1 it seems like a lot of the other handicappers agreed as well. I also think the connections agreed to some extent as Florent Geroux commented, “The mile is about as far as he can go.” But as it goes Geroux had an amazing ride for the victory.

Still, there’s no such thing as a bad day at the races and this was no exception!

Stay tuned for exclusive Chicago Dark Horse coverage of the Arlington Matron and Arlington Classic next Saturday!

Older Comments about Havelock Shoots and Scores in Hanshin Cup!...

Again, great race and I didn't think Havelock could get the mile!
That was a nail biter and a super race.My pick FA didn't stay..wonder why they put him in front as he seems to come from behind mostly.Havelock was very impressive.