• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 4 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 4 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 4 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 5 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 5 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 6 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 10 days ago

Happy My Way Scoots Home in MD Sprint

Happy My Way wins 2014 MD Sprint.
Sagamore Farm & Mel Palkoff’s Happy My Way broke like a shot and nursed his lead the rest of the way to post an easy score in the $150,000 Maryland Sprint Handicap (G3) Saturday at Pimlico Race Course.

Sent to post as the 3-5 betting choice under Joe Bravo, the son of Wilko covered the six-furlong distance over the fast main track in 1:09.21, scoring by 5 ¾ lengths over Lemon Drop Dream. Service For Ten finished third.

Happy My Way won the Sir Shackleton Stakes at Gulfstream Park in his previous start.  The Joe Orseno-trained gelding paid $3.20 while notching his fourth win in his last five starts.

MARYLAND SPRINT HANDICAP (G3) QUOTES

Winning Trainer Joe Orseno (Happy My Way): “This horse really excelled over the Gulfstream track. There was a little threat and fear that it was Gulfstream that got him that good. But this was good. I told Joe (Bravo), ‘Be careful of the 1,” because I heard when he gets in front of horses he gets real brave. Joe said he wouldn’t get in front of us. He knows the horse and he wanted the lead and he got it. Terrific ride. For sprinters, the horse is just push-button. This is one of the better sprinters I’ve had.”

Winning Jockey Joe Bravo (Happy My Way): “It was a pretty easy race for me today. He did all the work. There wasn’t much for me to do or think about. I think we outran everybody, and that’s why we got to the winner’s circle.”

Trainer Steve Asmussen (Lemon Drop Dream, 2nd): “My horse ran good; just not that good.”

Jockey Ricardo Santana Jr. (Lemon Drop Dream, 2nd): “He really tried hard. The horse that won is a really nice horse. My horse did everything right today.”

Owner Mark Lapidus (Service for Ten, 3rd): “I’m pleased with the way he ran and we’ll take it from here.”

Jockey Sheldon Russell (Service for Ten, 3rd): “The plan was not to be that far back. He’s not the fastest of horses out of the gate. I didn’t want to be too far away. Today, he broke out nicely but dropped too far back. I was getting to them some at the end. He was the only one closing. He always has a big run in him. He’ll win a big one again soon.”