• Family Tree game down the lane in winning the Iowa Oaks.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 5 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 5 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 5 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 5 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 5 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 6 days ago

Guyana Star Dweej Visits Belmont Oval

Belmont Stakes 2012 logo.
Photo: Kevin Creative (Kevin House)

As has been his custom this week, Guyana Star Dweej went to the main track Thursday morning with other Belmont Stakes contenders at 8:30, accompanied by Grade 3 winner Shkspeare Shaliyah.

The 3-year-old stablemates galloped once around the 1 ½-mile oval before heading back to the Belmont stakes barn.

“The exercise rider went a little slower than I wanted him to go, but I’m pleased with the way he went,” owner-trainer Doodnauth Shivmangal said. “He is more competitive with company, but tomorrow I’m going to relax him by himself. He won’t do much.”

This will be the second straight appearance in the Belmont for Shivmangal, who ran last of 12 with Isn’t He Perfect in 2011.

“This is a different caliber horse from Isn’t He Perfect,” Shivmangal said. “This horse was bred to go long. He has the stamina, and all I need from [jockey] Kent [Desormeaux] is to rate this horse, just get him to relax a little bit on the backside.”

Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner I’ll Have Another is poised to become racing’s first Triple Crown champion in 34 years with a victory in the Belmont, but Shivmangal said he wouldn’t have any problem being a spoiler to the historic quest.

“I will be very, very happy and proud to do that, and I think I have a shot of doing it,” Shivmangal said. “I did not go in because I just want to go in the Belmont. Winning a race of this magnitude would be great for me. It would be huge, and something that I’m looking forward to. Of course, it would make anybody very happy and excited.”