• Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 5 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 5 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 5 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 6 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 6 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 6 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 6 days ago
  • Long On Value clearly Best in the Canadian Turf. Posted 6 days ago
  •  Street Babe surprise the Mineshaft field at Fair Grounds.Posted 6 days ago
  • Main Sequence storms home late to win the Mac Diarmida! Posted 6 days ago

Guyana Star Dweej Visits Belmont Oval

Belmont Stakes 2012 logo.
Photo: Kevin Creative (Kevin House)

As has been his custom this week, Guyana Star Dweej went to the main track Thursday morning with other Belmont Stakes contenders at 8:30, accompanied by Grade 3 winner Shkspeare Shaliyah.

The 3-year-old stablemates galloped once around the 1 ½-mile oval before heading back to the Belmont stakes barn.

“The exercise rider went a little slower than I wanted him to go, but I’m pleased with the way he went,” owner-trainer Doodnauth Shivmangal said. “He is more competitive with company, but tomorrow I’m going to relax him by himself. He won’t do much.”

This will be the second straight appearance in the Belmont for Shivmangal, who ran last of 12 with Isn’t He Perfect in 2011.

“This is a different caliber horse from Isn’t He Perfect,” Shivmangal said. “This horse was bred to go long. He has the stamina, and all I need from [jockey] Kent [Desormeaux] is to rate this horse, just get him to relax a little bit on the backside.”

Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner I’ll Have Another is poised to become racing’s first Triple Crown champion in 34 years with a victory in the Belmont, but Shivmangal said he wouldn’t have any problem being a spoiler to the historic quest.

“I will be very, very happy and proud to do that, and I think I have a shot of doing it,” Shivmangal said. “I did not go in because I just want to go in the Belmont. Winning a race of this magnitude would be great for me. It would be huge, and something that I’m looking forward to. Of course, it would make anybody very happy and excited.”