• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 23 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 2 days ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 3 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 6 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 7 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 10 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 13 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 13 days ago

Gutierrez Talks About I'll Have Another

The following are comments from jockey Mario Gutierrez, who was to ride I’ll Have Another in today’s 144th running of the Grade 1, $1 million Belmont Stakes at Belmont Park:

“[The realization] already sunk in. I found out yesterday early in the morning. It’s a little sad. The trainer and the owner made the decision for the horse. He’s the one who brought us here, so we try to take care of him. If it wasn’t for him, we wouldn’t be here.”

“Before I’ll Have Another, no one knew who I was. It has been an unbelievable journey.”

“I came here for the horse, I’ll Have Another, and Mr. Reddam and [Doug] O’Neill, so I asked what was the plan [after I’ll Have Another was retired]. ‘Are we going home? Are we leaving?’ And they were like, ‘No, we’re sticking around.’ And I was, like, ‘Awesome!’ This is my job. Like any other sport, something a little bad happens, but then you have to keep moving forward. This is my job, this is what I love to do.”

“My friends arrived a couple of days ago. Yeah, everybody’s here.”

“I have to keep riding the horses and give the best chances for them. It is my job. Like any other rider, we’re professional in what we do.”

“This is my first time here but if the [other jockeys] come out to watch [the Belmont], I will, too, and wish everybody the best luck, to the jockeys and hope everything goes well and to the other horses, and may the best horse win today.”

“This is horse racing. [Having horses scratch] always happens; it’s just that this is a big race and everybody has been paying so much attention. It’s like an everyday thing.”

“Like I said in the first interviews, I was taking one race at a time, well before Kentucky and the Preakness. I always take one race at a time. You can’t predict something to happen, happen. I always say, whatever was meant to happen is going to happen. This is what God chose to happen, and I’m happy for it. This has already been such an unbelievable journey for me.”

“I never thought about a Triple Crown. I take one race at a time. My head was focusing on the Belmont Stakes race. That’s all I was thinking, the Belmont. If I won the Belmont, then I was going to take everything that comes with it.”

“I was 100 percent confident in my horse. A lot of people didn’t believe in him since  Santa Anita Derby, the Kentucky Derby, everything was going to be such a huge deal for him, and he proved them wrong, I know if he was 100 percent today, he would prove everybody wrong again.”