• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 2 days ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 2 days ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 3 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 4 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 5 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 5 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Gutierrez Talks About I'll Have Another

The following are comments from jockey Mario Gutierrez, who was to ride I’ll Have Another in today’s 144th running of the Grade 1, $1 million Belmont Stakes at Belmont Park:

“[The realization] already sunk in. I found out yesterday early in the morning. It’s a little sad. The trainer and the owner made the decision for the horse. He’s the one who brought us here, so we try to take care of him. If it wasn’t for him, we wouldn’t be here.”

“Before I’ll Have Another, no one knew who I was. It has been an unbelievable journey.”

“I came here for the horse, I’ll Have Another, and Mr. Reddam and [Doug] O’Neill, so I asked what was the plan [after I’ll Have Another was retired]. ‘Are we going home? Are we leaving?’ And they were like, ‘No, we’re sticking around.’ And I was, like, ‘Awesome!’ This is my job. Like any other sport, something a little bad happens, but then you have to keep moving forward. This is my job, this is what I love to do.”

“My friends arrived a couple of days ago. Yeah, everybody’s here.”

“I have to keep riding the horses and give the best chances for them. It is my job. Like any other rider, we’re professional in what we do.”

“This is my first time here but if the [other jockeys] come out to watch [the Belmont], I will, too, and wish everybody the best luck, to the jockeys and hope everything goes well and to the other horses, and may the best horse win today.”

“This is horse racing. [Having horses scratch] always happens; it’s just that this is a big race and everybody has been paying so much attention. It’s like an everyday thing.”

“Like I said in the first interviews, I was taking one race at a time, well before Kentucky and the Preakness. I always take one race at a time. You can’t predict something to happen, happen. I always say, whatever was meant to happen is going to happen. This is what God chose to happen, and I’m happy for it. This has already been such an unbelievable journey for me.”

“I never thought about a Triple Crown. I take one race at a time. My head was focusing on the Belmont Stakes race. That’s all I was thinking, the Belmont. If I won the Belmont, then I was going to take everything that comes with it.”

“I was 100 percent confident in my horse. A lot of people didn’t believe in him since  Santa Anita Derby, the Kentucky Derby, everything was going to be such a huge deal for him, and he proved them wrong, I know if he was 100 percent today, he would prove everybody wrong again.”