•  California Chrome works 4f over Del Mar turf course in :52.00Posted 9 minutes ago
  • Belmont runner-up Commissioner returned to the work tab Nov 22 (3f in :38.12 at Palm Beach).Posted 13 minutes ago
  • Sunbean raises his career record to 12-for-19 lifetime with a Delta Mile victory! Posted 19 hours ago
  • Ocho Ocho Ocho edges Mr. Z in the Delta Downs Jackpot! Posted 20 hours ago
  • Take Charge Brandi scores again, this time in the Delta Downs Princess!Posted 20 hours ago
  • Strike Charmer flew away with the Cardinal! Posted 21 hours ago
  • Yahilwa and Mike Smith get the job done in the Treasure Chest!Posted 21 hours ago
  • Honor Code returns a winner in an Aqueduct allowance! Posted 22 hours ago
  • Ben's Cat vs. Bern Identity in 2014 Fabulous Strike at Penn National.Posted 1 day ago
  • Cigar Mile hopeful Itsmyluckyday drilled a 5f bullet in 1:00.40 at GPW on Nov 20.Posted 1 day ago

Great Action on Million Preview Day at Arlington!

Rahystrada
Photo: Four Footed Fotos

A mix of sun, clouds, and even little rain made an appearance this Saturday at Arlington Park. It must have been the right combination to provide a stellar day of racing on Million preview day!

In the Arlington Handicap we saw 8 year old champion Rahystrada never relinquish the lead to capture the big race (which is the preview race for the Arlington Million). Morning line favorite Boisterous closed in from way behind and just missed by a neck. The horse my heart was hung upon, Mister Marti Gras, stalked the pace but didn’t have enough to fire at the end.

(Rahystrada - winner!)

I spoke to Joel Rosario after the race. I asked him about sending Rahystrada to the lead and he said there wasn’t much speed in the race so he knew he could win the race in that manner. He also said that he loves the Arlington turf course and would love to ride here more often! Yes!

Earlier in the day was the Modesty Handicap which serves as the preview for the Beverly D. This mile and 3/16 turf race race was mostly devoid of speed, however it was Frank Calabrese’s Romacaca who ran right with the leader She’s All In for the entire way and battled Snow Top Mountain in what was one of the more memorable stretch battles of the meet to take home the victory.

(Romacaca in the paddock)

Sixty Sails winner She’s All In broke sharp from the gate and ran on the rail showing the early speed in the race. The one horse I thought that could show speed, Romacaca, was right there but actually rated. Upperline, who looked amazing in the paddock, tracked in 3rd but never fired down the stretch. Morning line favorite Bizzy Caroline also didn’t seem to have it today.

(Romacaca - winner!)

If this is any indication of how the Arlington Million day races will pan out, then we're in for a treat!!

All of my photos for the day can be found HERE

For coverage of the other two Million Preview Day races, check out Brian Zipse's ZATT blog

**CHECK THIS OUT**

Be sure to check out the next video in the "Behind The Silks" series from Arlington Park!

Older Comments about Great Action on Million Preview Day at Arlington!...

Glad the old timer won. I was hoping for the Phipps horse in the race as it would be a nice dbl. victory for one of the few old time stables that are still active
John. She is a nice horse.
The Geramn bred is a ONE run horse. His postioning was NOT out of character with the way her runs EVERY RACE...Wake up!!
I had been winning with Romacaca all year. I am still kicking myself for not betting her yesterday. I thought she was in over her head.
I agree Laz thought Rosario was doing a Laparoux on him. Felt he was too far back given the pace as well. Horse has a lot of heart, he made up a lot of ground
Deep closers like out German bred friend, by their very nature, run late and each time have to find an avenue through traffic. It is the nature of their running style, PERIOD
I didn't liek the way Rosario got boxed in with the old guy. I'll be kind and say that he was much the best but had terrible positioning.
Rosario and Rahystrada were a great combo! I can tell you guys had a great day!
Rahy is back.
Great day for ten year old Grey
I love Rahystrada.
Great article -- was happy to see Rahystrada get the win... would have liked to have seen Musketier win but I'll take that game second. :)