• California Chrome covers 4F in :49.00 at Los Al (2/2)Posted 5 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $18,465 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 19 hours ago
  • Bayerd gets the job done in the Springboard Mile! Posted 4 days ago
  • Acceptance remains unbeaten in winning the King Glorious! Posted 4 days ago
  • Good Luck Gus best in the Damon Runyon! Posted 5 days ago
  • Mr. Z works 5F in 1:00.00 (2/24) at Los Al on Dec. 14Posted 5 days ago
  • Liam's Map gamely gets his first stakes win in the Harlan's Holiday! Posted 6 days ago
  • Micromanage over Vyjack in the Queens County! Posted 6 days ago
  • Sunbean does it again in the Louisana Champions Day Classic! Posted 6 days ago
  •  Merry Meadow gets up for the win in the Grade 3 Sugar Swirl!Posted 6 days ago

Grade 1 Winner The Usual Q.T. Retired

The Usual Q.T., winner of five stakes races, two of them Grade I’s, and earner of more than $1.5 million in his career, has been retired.

“There were too many issues this time,” trainer Jim Cassidy said of the 6-year-old Unusual Heat gelding, who was bred by Carlee Van Kempen, daughter of part-owner Don Van Kempen. “He’s been a great horse. He’s right up there with the best I’ve ever trained along with any other horse I had, including Evening Jewel, Ticker Tape, Diamond Diva, Singhalese—all of them.”

Among The Usual Q.T.’s five stakes wins were the Grade I Hollywood Derby in 2009 and the Grade I Eddie Read in 2010. That was his last victory, incurring a losing string of eight straight through his final race, the Grade II San Gabriel Stakes in which he finished third on Jan. 16.

Following his Eddie Read victory, The Usual Q.T. was second in the Grade I Woodbine Mile, and third in the Grade I Breeders’ Cup Mile behind champions Goldikova and Gio Ponti.

The consistent bay failed to earn a check only once in his 23 career starts, when he finished ninth in the 2010 Sunshine Millions Classic, which was run on Santa Anita’s synthetic surface.

The Usual Q.T. retired with eight wins (all on turf), six seconds and five thirds, with earnings of $1,531,240 for owners Don Van Kempen, Michael Nentwig, George Saadeh and Jeffrey Byer.