• Far From Over is injured and off the Kentucky Derby trail, according to owner, James Covello.Posted 1 day ago
  • Materiality turns away the challenge of Upstart to win the Florida Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • International Star reels in Stanford late to win the Louisiana Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox sweeps the 3yo filly stakes at Fair Grounds with today's win in the Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Pants On Fire guts out a win in the Sir Shackleton.Posted 3 days ago
  • War Correspondent rolls late to win the Appleton.Posted 3 days ago
  • Prince Bishop wins the world's richest race; California Chrome 2nd.Posted 4 days ago
  • Dolniya dominates the boys in the Dubai Sheema ClassicPosted 4 days ago
  • Solow defeats The Grey Gatsby in the $6,000,000 Dubai TurfPosted 4 days ago

Grade 1 Winner The Usual Q.T. Retired

The Usual Q.T., winner of five stakes races, two of them Grade I’s, and earner of more than $1.5 million in his career, has been retired.

“There were too many issues this time,” trainer Jim Cassidy said of the 6-year-old Unusual Heat gelding, who was bred by Carlee Van Kempen, daughter of part-owner Don Van Kempen. “He’s been a great horse. He’s right up there with the best I’ve ever trained along with any other horse I had, including Evening Jewel, Ticker Tape, Diamond Diva, Singhalese—all of them.”

Among The Usual Q.T.’s five stakes wins were the Grade I Hollywood Derby in 2009 and the Grade I Eddie Read in 2010. That was his last victory, incurring a losing string of eight straight through his final race, the Grade II San Gabriel Stakes in which he finished third on Jan. 16.

Following his Eddie Read victory, The Usual Q.T. was second in the Grade I Woodbine Mile, and third in the Grade I Breeders’ Cup Mile behind champions Goldikova and Gio Ponti.

The consistent bay failed to earn a check only once in his 23 career starts, when he finished ninth in the 2010 Sunshine Millions Classic, which was run on Santa Anita’s synthetic surface.

The Usual Q.T. retired with eight wins (all on turf), six seconds and five thirds, with earnings of $1,531,240 for owners Don Van Kempen, Michael Nentwig, George Saadeh and Jeffrey Byer.