• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 3 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 3 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 3 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 4 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 5 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 8 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 10 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 11 days ago

Gracer Survives Duel in Marshua Stakes

Gracer wins 2014 Marshua Stakes
Photo: Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club
Odds-on favorite Gracer survived a spirited duel and came home the clear winner of the $100,000 Marshua Stakes for 3-year-old fillies, the second of four stakes at Laurel Park Saturday afternoon.

Owned by Three Chimney Racing Partnership & Team D and trained by Tony Dutrow, Gracer covered the six-furlong distance in 1:12.18 and won by three lengths. Longshot Jump Two, who was left at the gate at the start, rallied to take second while pacesetter Jonesin for Jerry drifted home after tiring from her duel with the winner and finished third.

“The race ran just as I expected,” Dutrow said. “The one (Jonesin For Jerry) came out running as we thought she would. I knew that we were the one to beat. She ran a strong race and I was happy to see her pull off strongly at the finish.”

Alex Cintron was aboard the winner, who had won the Blue Mountain Juvenile Fillies in her previous start and finished second in the Matron Stakes (G2) at Belmont Park in September.

“My horse was real relaxed,” Cintron said. “The other horse was more rank. I felt good right away when I was breaking because the other horse didn’t break too well and he had to use that horse a lot in the beginning. Tony was looking for a rider and he found me. He told me he was going to put me on some stakes horses. This is the first stakes I’ve ridden for him.”

The daughter of Exchange Rate paid $3.