• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 2 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 3 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 3 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 3 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 3 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 3 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 3 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 4 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 9 days ago

Gracer Survives Duel in Marshua Stakes

Gracer wins 2014 Marshua Stakes
Photo: Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club
Odds-on favorite Gracer survived a spirited duel and came home the clear winner of the $100,000 Marshua Stakes for 3-year-old fillies, the second of four stakes at Laurel Park Saturday afternoon.

Owned by Three Chimney Racing Partnership & Team D and trained by Tony Dutrow, Gracer covered the six-furlong distance in 1:12.18 and won by three lengths. Longshot Jump Two, who was left at the gate at the start, rallied to take second while pacesetter Jonesin for Jerry drifted home after tiring from her duel with the winner and finished third.

“The race ran just as I expected,” Dutrow said. “The one (Jonesin For Jerry) came out running as we thought she would. I knew that we were the one to beat. She ran a strong race and I was happy to see her pull off strongly at the finish.”

Alex Cintron was aboard the winner, who had won the Blue Mountain Juvenile Fillies in her previous start and finished second in the Matron Stakes (G2) at Belmont Park in September.

“My horse was real relaxed,” Cintron said. “The other horse was more rank. I felt good right away when I was breaking because the other horse didn’t break too well and he had to use that horse a lot in the beginning. Tony was looking for a rider and he found me. He told me he was going to put me on some stakes horses. This is the first stakes I’ve ridden for him.”

The daughter of Exchange Rate paid $3.