• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 12 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 2 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 5 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 6 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 9 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 12 days ago

Gomez Thinks Byrony Can Improve

Garrett Gomez got acquainted with Byrony for the first time when he rode the Irish-bred mare to a sharp second by a neck to A Jealous Woman in the Megahertz Stakes on Jan. 19.

The 42-year-old jockey, who won two races Friday giving him 24 for the meet and a winning average of 23 percent, likes his chances in Monday‘s Presidents’ Day feature, the Grade II Buena Vista Stakes at one mile on turf.

"She ran really well that day,” Gomez said of Byrony. “I wheeled her out and asked her to go out and get them. She ran a really good race. She couldn’t quite get to the last horse, but when I first turned for home I thought I was going to be able to run them down.

“Then when I uncovered her, she didn’t quite give me the kick that I thought she might. But I learned a little bit about her and hopefully we can get her to improve again.”

The field for the Buena Vista: Byrony, Garrett Gomez, 6-1; Mizdirection, Mike Smith, 1-1; Byrama, Victor Espinoza, 8-1; Long Face, Julien Leparoux, 20-1; Trois Aureole, Martin Garcia, 15-1; A Jealous Woman, Brice Blanc, 7-2; Charm the Maker, Joe Talamo, 15-1; and In the Stars, Gary Stevens, 4-1. First post time Monday is 12:30 p.m.

Fans attending Santa Anita on Presidents’ Day will receive free an attractive Santa Anita umbrella with paid admission while supplies last.