• Favorite Tara's Tango surges to win the Santa Maria at the wire.Posted 17 hours ago
  • O'Neill's strengthens his stable of 3-year-olds as Frank Conversation wins the El Camino Real Derby.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Bolo nabs Obviously in the final strides of the Arcadia.Posted 19 hours ago
  • BC Mile heroine Tepin crushes her foes in the Lambholm South Endeavor Stakes. Posted 20 hours ago
  • Dancing House is ultra-game in taking the Barbara Fritchie.Posted 20 hours ago
  • Penwith scores in the Royal Delta at Gulfstream Park.Posted 21 hours ago
  • Destin rolls home in the Sam F. Davis at Tampa Bay Downs.Posted 22 hours ago
  • Polar River wins the UAE 1000 Guineas by a pole.Posted 3 days ago
  • Kobe's Back goes from last to first down the stretch to win the Palos Verdes.Posted 6 days ago
  • Storied Lady (4-1) up the rail to nip Saythreehailmary's in the Biogio's Rose.Posted 6 days ago

Gomez Thinks Byrony Can Improve

Garrett Gomez got acquainted with Byrony for the first time when he rode the Irish-bred mare to a sharp second by a neck to A Jealous Woman in the Megahertz Stakes on Jan. 19.

The 42-year-old jockey, who won two races Friday giving him 24 for the meet and a winning average of 23 percent, likes his chances in Monday‘s Presidents’ Day feature, the Grade II Buena Vista Stakes at one mile on turf.

"She ran really well that day,” Gomez said of Byrony. “I wheeled her out and asked her to go out and get them. She ran a really good race. She couldn’t quite get to the last horse, but when I first turned for home I thought I was going to be able to run them down.

“Then when I uncovered her, she didn’t quite give me the kick that I thought she might. But I learned a little bit about her and hopefully we can get her to improve again.”

The field for the Buena Vista: Byrony, Garrett Gomez, 6-1; Mizdirection, Mike Smith, 1-1; Byrama, Victor Espinoza, 8-1; Long Face, Julien Leparoux, 20-1; Trois Aureole, Martin Garcia, 15-1; A Jealous Woman, Brice Blanc, 7-2; Charm the Maker, Joe Talamo, 15-1; and In the Stars, Gary Stevens, 4-1. First post time Monday is 12:30 p.m.

Fans attending Santa Anita on Presidents’ Day will receive free an attractive Santa Anita umbrella with paid admission while supplies last.