• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 1 day ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 1 day ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 1 day ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 2 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 2 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 2 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 2 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 2 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 3 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 7 days ago

Gomez Looking Forward to Riding The Lumber Guy

The Lumber Guy
Photo: NYRA, Adam Coglianese

Garrett Gomez is looking forward to riding Breeders’ Cup Sprint runner-up The Lumber Guy for the first time in a race in the Grade II San Carlos Stakes at seven furlongs on Saturday.

Gomez was aboard the 4-year-old gray son of Grand Slam owned by Barry Schwartz and trained by Neil Drysdale for a five furlong workout at Santa Anita last Saturday in a bullet 58.40, uncharacteristically quick time for a Drysdale worker.

“Neil told me he’s fast and he’s a little aggressive when he was kind of laying out the work he was looking for,” said Gomez, third in Santa Anita’s standings nearing today’s halfway point in the meet with 26 victories. “He told me some of the habits, and about his last work.

“He just wanted something nice. The horse broke off, he towed me up the backside, towed me all the way around there and turning for home, I finally got him to shut off a little without getting him turned off completely.

“Honestly, I thought he went about a minute flat. He wasn’t doing much down the lane, but he was going fast enough where I felt I was hitting that minute. I didn’t want to squeeze him or anything.

“He was traveling well enough where he was doing things just nice. When I came back, Neil thought he went a minute and change. I thought he went a minute and they gave him 58 and two. “We liked the work, we liked the way he did it and hopefully he’ll bounce back and run more like his Breeders’ Cup race.”

The field for the San Carlos: Comma to the Top, Edwin Maldonado, 4-1; Capital Account, David Flores, 4-1; Justin Phillip, Mike Smith, 8-1; Canonize, Jose Valdivia Jr., 15-1; Midnight Transfer, Rafael Bejarano, 3-1; Sahara Sky, Joe Talamo, 6-1; The Lumber Guy, Garrett Gomez, 5-2; and Drill, Julien Leparoux, 12-1.