• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 23 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 2 days ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 3 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 6 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 7 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 10 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 13 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 13 days ago

Gomez Looking Forward to March Return

Garrett Gomez was a visitor to Clockers’ Corner Sunday morning, sporting crutches but otherwise in good shape as he recovers from a broken left heel leaving the Seabiscuit Walking Ring for the Daytona Stakes on Jan. 8.

The Eclipse Award-winning rider and four-time national money leader hopes to resume riding in time to pilot Sham Stakes winner Out of Bounds in the Grade II San Felipe Stakes on March 10.

“I was a little disappointed last Sunday because I felt like I wasn’t making the progress that I wanted to make,” the 40-year-old Tucson native said. “Then they took the stitches out on Tuesday and that gave me more freedom as far as what I could do.

“I started pedaling a (stationary) bike and I’m up to eight miles already. I swam a little in the pool yesterday for the first time and lifted weights for my legs, my thighs and my calves to build up muscle, because when they do surgery, your muscles tend to atrophy. So I have to build up the muscles.

“I’m able to get up on my feet and stand without crutches. Now it’s just a matter of making sure the injury heals and not overdoing what I’m doing, yet still do enough to improve the range of motion.” Gomez has had to make an emotional adjustment, as well as physical.

“I can’t look back at what I lost,” he said. “It’s a matter of looking to the future and how fast I can come back. I’m trying to make sure I’m back in time for Out of Bounds to run. I want to have 3-year-old options to try an reach my ultimate goal of winning the Kentucky Derby.”

Older Comments about Gomez Looking Forward to March Return...

Whoopi-ty-aye-yay ...Back in the saddle again...Can't wait!
Looking forward to your return Garrett.