• Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 5 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 5 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 5 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 5 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 6 days ago
  • Cupid has been removed from consideration from the Kentucky Derby; Mo Tom is now in.Posted 11 days ago

Gomez Hopes for Stakes Success at SA

Garrett Gomez knows Chief Havoc will have to step up his game if he’s to win Saturday’s Grade I, Win and You’re In Awesome Again Stakes at Santa Anita, the final major West Coast prep for the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic here Nov. 2.

Gomez rode the 3-year-old Giant’s Causeway colt to an eighth-place finish in the grassy Del Mar Derby after prompting the pace. He was aboard the Peter Miller-trained chestnut owned by Paul Makin of Queensland, Australia, when he broke his maiden by 7 ¼ lengths on Santa Anita’s main track last April.

“He just didn’t run on the grass,” Gomez said of the Del Mar Derby effort. “He travels well and he did well when I breezed him on it, but for some reason, he just didn’t quicken in the Del Mar Derby.”

Gomez will have to rely on his experience and his homework in his other stakes mounts Saturday, Colonel Joan in the Chandelier Stakes, Lady of Shamrock in the Rodeo Drive Stakes and Roundupthelute in the FrontRunner Stakes, each a Grade I, “Win and You’re” In prep for the Breeders’ Cup World Championships.

It will be the first ride competitively for Gomez on each horse.

“I look at the (Racing) Form, and if the trainer has something to tell me about the horse, he’ll tell me,” Gomez said. “But riding any horse, whether we’ve been on it before or not, is what we get paid for. That’s what we do. It’s nothing any different from what I would normally do.”

The field for the Awesome Again, race 10 on an 11-race card that starts at 1 p.m.: Liaison, Rafael Bejarano, 6-1; Golden Ticket, Joe Talamo, 5-1; Soi Phet, Irving Orozco, 20-1; Jeranimo, Corey Nakatani, 12-1; You Know I Know, Julien Leparoux, 8-1; Take Control, Rosie Napravnik, 5-1; Paynter, Martin Garcia, 5-2; Chief Havoc, Garrett Gomez, 20-1; Summer Hit, Edwin Maldonado, 8-1; and Mucho Macho Man, Gary Stevens, 3-1.