• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 2 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 3 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 3 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 3 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 3 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 3 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 3 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 4 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 9 days ago

Gomez Back in the Saddle at Santa Anita

Two time Eclipse Award winning jockey Garrett Gomez, in his second comeback attempt since fracturing his left heel in a paddock mishap on Jan. 8, piloted 6-year-old Kelly Leak to a second place finish in Santa Anita’s fifth race on Thursday and pronounced his left heel “70 percent” better than in his abortive comeback try here on March 9.

“I felt really good,” said Gomez following his 6 ½ furlong trip down Santa Anita’s downhill turf course. “Especially when you get the juices flowing and you have a chance to win one. My ankle feels good.

“I don’t want to overly stress it. On a pain scale, I’d say I was at a six or a seven last time (March 9). Today I was a two or a one.”

Following his paddock accident on Jan. 8, Gomez underwent reconstructive surgery to repair his injured heel.

“It’s not the (surgically inserted) screws or the plate that hurts. The pain comes from the scar tissue and from the tendon that runs behind the ankle. I’ve been able to strengthen the muscle in that area and that’s helped a lot.”

Kelly Leak, who was entered for a claiming tag of $25,000 and was off at odds of 8-1, made the lead nearing the sixteenth pole but could not withstand the late charge of 3-2 favorite Crossing The Line and Joel Rosario. Kelly Leak was beaten by one length.

Gomez was named on two horses for Thursday, including the Marty Jones-trained Rauschenberg in the seventh race, who finished third.

Gomez will take Friday off and he is named on three horses on both Saturday and Sunday at Santa Anita.

“By the time I come back on Saturday, I should be good,” said Gomez, who was America’s leading jockey by money-won over four consecutive years, 2006, ’07, ’08 and ’09.