• ZATT's Star of the Week, is ... Winx!Posted 20 hours ago
  • Elektrum (5-2) gets up in the final jump to win the Grade 3 Dowager at Keeneland.Posted 23 hours ago
  • Roca Rojo (4-1) storms home to romp in Belmont's Athenia.Posted 23 hours ago
  • Lightstream (2-1) rolls late to pass Malibu Stacy for the Raven Run win.Posted 1 day ago
  • Royal Posse (5-2) likes the off going and upsets Governor Malibu in the Empire Classic.Posted 1 day ago
  • Bar of Gold (4-5) wins the Empire Distaff by a country mile.Posted 2 days ago
  • Pat On The Back (20-1) puts them to sleep in a sloppy Sleepy Hollow.Posted 2 days ago
  • 2001 Kentucky Derby winner, Monarchos has passed away at the age of 18.Posted 2 days ago
  • Winx absolutely dominant in winning a second Cox Plate.Posted 2 days ago
  • Quidura (7-2) scores another graded stakes win at Keeneland for Graham Motion.Posted 2 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015

Gomez Back in the Saddle at Santa Anita

Two time Eclipse Award winning jockey Garrett Gomez, in his second comeback attempt since fracturing his left heel in a paddock mishap on Jan. 8, piloted 6-year-old Kelly Leak to a second place finish in Santa Anita’s fifth race on Thursday and pronounced his left heel “70 percent” better than in his abortive comeback try here on March 9.

“I felt really good,” said Gomez following his 6 ½ furlong trip down Santa Anita’s downhill turf course. “Especially when you get the juices flowing and you have a chance to win one. My ankle feels good.

“I don’t want to overly stress it. On a pain scale, I’d say I was at a six or a seven last time (March 9). Today I was a two or a one.”

Following his paddock accident on Jan. 8, Gomez underwent reconstructive surgery to repair his injured heel.

“It’s not the (surgically inserted) screws or the plate that hurts. The pain comes from the scar tissue and from the tendon that runs behind the ankle. I’ve been able to strengthen the muscle in that area and that’s helped a lot.”

Kelly Leak, who was entered for a claiming tag of $25,000 and was off at odds of 8-1, made the lead nearing the sixteenth pole but could not withstand the late charge of 3-2 favorite Crossing The Line and Joel Rosario. Kelly Leak was beaten by one length.

Gomez was named on two horses for Thursday, including the Marty Jones-trained Rauschenberg in the seventh race, who finished third.

Gomez will take Friday off and he is named on three horses on both Saturday and Sunday at Santa Anita.

“By the time I come back on Saturday, I should be good,” said Gomez, who was America’s leading jockey by money-won over four consecutive years, 2006, ’07, ’08 and ’09.