• Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 3 hours ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 6 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 6 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 6 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 6 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 6 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 6 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 7 days ago

Golden Mystery Romps in F&M Sprint

Gulfstream Park
Photo: MEC

Golden Mystery went out a winner Saturday at Gulfstream Park, capturing the $150,000 Florida Sunshine Millions Fillies and Mares Sprint in her last scheduled start.

Slated to be sold by Farnsworth Stables, LLC at the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky Mixed Sale on Feb. 11, the 7-year-old daughter of Awesome Again returned to winning form just in time for the six-furlong dash for Florida-bred distaffers.

Golden Mystery ($6.00), who went winless in nine starts in 2012, slipped inside tiring pacesetter Becausei’mworthit leaving the turn into the homestretch, while favored R Holiday Mood made a bid for the lead on the outside. Under strong urging by jockey Luis Saez, the Marty Wolfson-trained mare pulled away from the 6-5 favorite to win by 5 ¼ lengths.

“I thought coming off that mile (Dec. 30), I knew she’d have the stamina.  When they were going head and head, I knew she’s finish strong,” Wolfson said. “I didn’t know she’d win off by six, but I knew she’d finish strong. And that race (second) to Dust and Diamonds (Dec. 8) was a good race.”

Golden Mystery, the 2-1 second choice, ran six furlongs over the sloppy track in 1:11.07.

“I knew I was going to win the race. This was the perfect weather for her because she has a problem sweating,” Saez said. “Once she got in front it was easy, all I had to do was ask her.”

Emma’s Encore, ridden by Junior Alvarado, closed to finish second, a neck in front of R Holiday Mood.

“We can’t take it away from the winner, who ran a big race. Emma’s Encore closed as she usually does, and we hope next time our number will come up,” said trainer Allen Jerkens, who had saddled Emma’s Encore for a Grade 1 victory at Saratoga last August.