• Unique Bella is off the Kentucky Oaks trail with a sore shin, per Steve Anderson.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Hence (10-1) rallies to win the Sunland Park Derby going away.Posted 2 days ago
  • Ghalia (2-1) edges a game Kell Paso in the Sunland Park Oaks.Posted 2 days ago
  • Itsinthepost (6-1) drives home the win in the Grade 2 San Luis Rey.Posted 3 days ago
  • Fear the Cowboy (7-2) comes running late to capture the Grade 3 Skip Away.Posted 3 days ago
  • Fast and Accurate (24-1) bursts through to upset the Grade 3 Spiral.Posted 3 days ago
  • Purely a Dream (12-1) pulls ahead in the stretch to take the Grade 3 Bourbonette Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Arrogate, despite a dreadful break, wins the Dubai World Cup easily.Posted 3 days ago
  • Jack Hobbs is much the best in the Sheema Classic.Posted 3 days ago
  • Vivlos flies late to get up for the win in the $6 million Dubai Turf.Posted 3 days ago

Gio Ponti aims for Classic

Though Gio Ponti fell short of winning his fifth consecutive Grade 1 turf race on Saturday, trainer Christophe Clement said he feels his horse has nothing left to prove on the grass. Thus, Clement and owner Shane Thomas Ryan will give Gio Ponti a new challenge by taking on some of the best horses in the world in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic on Nov. 7 over Santa Anita's Pro-Ride surface.

Older Comments about Gio Ponti aims for Classic...

The more I keep going over and over the field for the Classic, trying my best to handicap it, the more it keep's coming up in my head and on paper that Gio Ponti may have the best chance, of the American horses anyway, of any entered. I'm not sure that he can't hold his own on the pro-ride surface with Rip Van Winkle. Gio Ponti does in fact have a victory over the pro-ride. I'll likely use him somewhere on my ticket. It seems that the really good turf horses perform well on the synthetic surface, and there's no doubt in my mind that Gio Ponti is a really good turf horse.