• California Chrome covers 4F in :49.00 at Los Al (2/2)Posted 1 hour ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $18,465 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 16 hours ago
  • Bayerd gets the job done in the Springboard Mile! Posted 4 days ago
  • Acceptance remains unbeaten in winning the King Glorious! Posted 4 days ago
  • Good Luck Gus best in the Damon Runyon! Posted 4 days ago
  • Mr. Z works 5F in 1:00.00 (2/24) at Los Al on Dec. 14Posted 5 days ago
  • Liam's Map gamely gets his first stakes win in the Harlan's Holiday! Posted 5 days ago
  • Micromanage over Vyjack in the Queens County! Posted 5 days ago
  • Sunbean does it again in the Louisana Champions Day Classic! Posted 5 days ago
  •  Merry Meadow gets up for the win in the Grade 3 Sugar Swirl!Posted 6 days ago

Gio Ponti aims for Classic

Though Gio Ponti fell short of winning his fifth consecutive Grade 1 turf race on Saturday, trainer Christophe Clement said he feels his horse has nothing left to prove on the grass. Thus, Clement and owner Shane Thomas Ryan will give Gio Ponti a new challenge by taking on some of the best horses in the world in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic on Nov. 7 over Santa Anita's Pro-Ride surface.

Older Comments about Gio Ponti aims for Classic...

The more I keep going over and over the field for the Classic, trying my best to handicap it, the more it keep's coming up in my head and on paper that Gio Ponti may have the best chance, of the American horses anyway, of any entered. I'm not sure that he can't hold his own on the pro-ride surface with Rip Van Winkle. Gio Ponti does in fact have a victory over the pro-ride. I'll likely use him somewhere on my ticket. It seems that the really good turf horses perform well on the synthetic surface, and there's no doubt in my mind that Gio Ponti is a really good turf horse.