• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 4 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 5 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 5 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 5 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 5 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 6 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 11 days ago

Gio Ponti aims for Classic

Though Gio Ponti fell short of winning his fifth consecutive Grade 1 turf race on Saturday, trainer Christophe Clement said he feels his horse has nothing left to prove on the grass. Thus, Clement and owner Shane Thomas Ryan will give Gio Ponti a new challenge by taking on some of the best horses in the world in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic on Nov. 7 over Santa Anita's Pro-Ride surface.

Older Comments about Gio Ponti aims for Classic...

The more I keep going over and over the field for the Classic, trying my best to handicap it, the more it keep's coming up in my head and on paper that Gio Ponti may have the best chance, of the American horses anyway, of any entered. I'm not sure that he can't hold his own on the pro-ride surface with Rip Van Winkle. Gio Ponti does in fact have a victory over the pro-ride. I'll likely use him somewhere on my ticket. It seems that the really good turf horses perform well on the synthetic surface, and there's no doubt in my mind that Gio Ponti is a really good turf horse.