• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 4 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 5 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 5 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 5 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 5 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 6 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 11 days ago

General Quarters Arrives at Fair Grounds

Fair Grounds Race Course
Photo: CDI

Tom McCarthy’s General Quarters, hero of Churchill’s Grade I Woodford Reserve Turf Classic on Kentucky Derby Day last year and winner of Keeneland Race Course’s Grade I Blue Grass Stakes the year before that, arrived at McCarthy’s Fair Grounds barn before dawn Thursday morning after an extended layoff in Kentucky.

“They told me it was 18 degrees when he left Kentucky and it was about the same when he got here,” said McCarthy, speaking during training hours one day after Fair Grounds had to cancel its Thursday program due to frozen track conditions.

“He looks good. It’s great to have him back down here with me,” said McCarthy, who has also been trying to get his 3-year-old maiden named Humor’s Punch ready for a second local start despite a recent foot laceration.

“I’ll probably just shedrow General Quarters today (Friday), and hopefully be able to take him to the track tomorrow,” McCarthy said. “I like to give my horses at least 60 days when they’re coming off a long layoff, but I hope to have General Quarters ready for some big races coming up this spring in Kentucky.”

General Quarters finished second in last year’s $75,000 Louisiana Handicap, Grade III Mineshaft Handicap and Grade II New Orleans Handicap on the main track here last year before embarking on a turf career compromised during the summer by chips that were discovered after the Grade I Arlington Million.

Older Comments about General Quarters Arrives at Fair Grounds...

Glad to see Gen. Quarters on the comeback trail.