• Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 5 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 6 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 6 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 6 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 6 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 6 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 6 days ago
  • Long On Value clearly Best in the Canadian Turf. Posted 6 days ago
  •  Street Babe surprise the Mineshaft field at Fair Grounds.Posted 6 days ago
  • Main Sequence storms home late to win the Mac Diarmida! Posted 6 days ago

General Quarters Arrives at Fair Grounds

Fair Grounds Race Course
Photo: CDI

Tom McCarthy’s General Quarters, hero of Churchill’s Grade I Woodford Reserve Turf Classic on Kentucky Derby Day last year and winner of Keeneland Race Course’s Grade I Blue Grass Stakes the year before that, arrived at McCarthy’s Fair Grounds barn before dawn Thursday morning after an extended layoff in Kentucky.

“They told me it was 18 degrees when he left Kentucky and it was about the same when he got here,” said McCarthy, speaking during training hours one day after Fair Grounds had to cancel its Thursday program due to frozen track conditions.

“He looks good. It’s great to have him back down here with me,” said McCarthy, who has also been trying to get his 3-year-old maiden named Humor’s Punch ready for a second local start despite a recent foot laceration.

“I’ll probably just shedrow General Quarters today (Friday), and hopefully be able to take him to the track tomorrow,” McCarthy said. “I like to give my horses at least 60 days when they’re coming off a long layoff, but I hope to have General Quarters ready for some big races coming up this spring in Kentucky.”

General Quarters finished second in last year’s $75,000 Louisiana Handicap, Grade III Mineshaft Handicap and Grade II New Orleans Handicap on the main track here last year before embarking on a turf career compromised during the summer by chips that were discovered after the Grade I Arlington Million.

Older Comments about General Quarters Arrives at Fair Grounds...

Glad to see Gen. Quarters on the comeback trail.