• ZATT's Star of the Week, is ... Winx!Posted 2 days ago
  • Elektrum (5-2) gets up in the final jump to win the Grade 3 Dowager at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Roca Rojo (4-1) storms home to romp in Belmont's Athenia.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lightstream (2-1) rolls late to pass Malibu Stacy for the Raven Run win.Posted 3 days ago
  • Royal Posse (5-2) likes the off going and upsets Governor Malibu in the Empire Classic.Posted 3 days ago
  • Bar of Gold (4-5) wins the Empire Distaff by a country mile.Posted 3 days ago
  • Pat On The Back (20-1) puts them to sleep in a sloppy Sleepy Hollow.Posted 3 days ago
  • 2001 Kentucky Derby winner, Monarchos has passed away at the age of 18.Posted 3 days ago
  • Winx absolutely dominant in winning a second Cox Plate.Posted 3 days ago
  • Quidura (7-2) scores another graded stakes win at Keeneland for Graham Motion.Posted 4 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015

General Quarters Arrives at Fair Grounds

Fair Grounds Race Course
Photo: CDI

Tom McCarthy’s General Quarters, hero of Churchill’s Grade I Woodford Reserve Turf Classic on Kentucky Derby Day last year and winner of Keeneland Race Course’s Grade I Blue Grass Stakes the year before that, arrived at McCarthy’s Fair Grounds barn before dawn Thursday morning after an extended layoff in Kentucky.

“They told me it was 18 degrees when he left Kentucky and it was about the same when he got here,” said McCarthy, speaking during training hours one day after Fair Grounds had to cancel its Thursday program due to frozen track conditions.

“He looks good. It’s great to have him back down here with me,” said McCarthy, who has also been trying to get his 3-year-old maiden named Humor’s Punch ready for a second local start despite a recent foot laceration.

“I’ll probably just shedrow General Quarters today (Friday), and hopefully be able to take him to the track tomorrow,” McCarthy said. “I like to give my horses at least 60 days when they’re coming off a long layoff, but I hope to have General Quarters ready for some big races coming up this spring in Kentucky.”

General Quarters finished second in last year’s $75,000 Louisiana Handicap, Grade III Mineshaft Handicap and Grade II New Orleans Handicap on the main track here last year before embarking on a turf career compromised during the summer by chips that were discovered after the Grade I Arlington Million.

Older Comments about General Quarters Arrives at Fair Grounds...

Glad to see Gen. Quarters on the comeback trail.