• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 4 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 5 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 5 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 5 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 5 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 6 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 11 days ago

Gallant Son Pounces in Inglewood

Taking advantage of a quick pace, Gallant Son rallied for the most significant win of his career in the $100,000 Inglewood Handicap on Sunday at Hollywood Park.

The Grade III was reduced to a field of nine after the scratches of Monterey Jazz, who had finished second behind Bold Chieftain in the San Francisco Mile at Golden Gate Fields on Saturday, and Compari, the 7-5 morning line favorite who was declared Sunday morning by trainer Marty Jones due to a bruised foot.

Providing owners Chris and Diane Randall with their first victory in a graded race, Gallant Son made a four wide bid around the final turn to join the tiring leaders – the half mile fractions set by longshot Rummysecret War and Red Alert Day was 45.42 seconds, then went to win by 1 ¾ lengths under Mike Smith.

Trained by Frank Lucarelli, the 4-year-old Malabar Gold colt out of the Exploit mare Explicitly completed the 1 1/16 miles on the firm turf in 1:39.67. The win was his second in three races on grass. He was second in his lone defeat on the surface.

“It set up great,’’ said Smith, who also won the 2009 Inglewood with Madeo. “I was going to try and cut the corner, but I knew that Acclamation (who wound up fourth as the narrow 3-1 favorite) always gives a good kick and I didn’t want to get myself in a pickle. I felt like he was the best horse, so I just stayed clear and he did the rest. They were smoking up front.’’

The 3-1 second choice, Gallant Son returned $8.20, $5 and $4. Quindici Man, the second longest shot in the lineup at 29-1, finished second, a half-length in front of Glowing Praise, who was nearly 22-1. Quindici Man returned $17.80 and $9.60. Glowing Praise paid $11.80 to show.

After his first win in a stakes at Hollywood Park, Lucarelli indicated Gallant Son could return in the $250,000 Shoemaker Mile. A Grade 1 on turf, the Shoemaker will be run on Memorial Day (Monday, May 31) at Hollywood Park.

“He can hang a little bit, but he went on with it today,’’said Lucarelli. “I was a little worried, but around the eighth pole I looked back and I didn’t see anybody coming.

“This race probably confirmed that he’s a notch above on turf what he is on dirt. We were not really considering anything, but I guess the Shoemaker is a possibility now.’’