• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 4 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 5 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 5 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 5 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 5 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 6 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 11 days ago

Fountain of Youth Quotes

Gulfstream Park
Photo: MEC

FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH

Todd Pletcher (Eskendereya) – “You’ve got to be excited when they perform like that in these kind of races at this time of year. I was particularly pleased with the way he finished. I don’t think we’ve ever gotten to the bottom of him. We threw a lot at him in the Breeders’ Cup (Juvenile) in just his third start and first on synthetic. In the first turn I knew he had no chance. He was jostled badly and sandwiched between horses. At one point I don’t think any of his feet were touching the ground (finished 9th beaten 6 ½ lengths by winner). He’s had two wins over the track here now, so the Florida Derby would seem logical for him, but we will consider all the options.”

John Velazquez (jockey, Eskendereya, 1st) – “I didn’t want to take too good a hold of him out of the gate, and I got to a point early on the backstretch where I started to move forward with him. I was hoping that I didn’t take too much out of him. Obviously I didn’t, because he went on, and did it very well. It was great feeling when he kicked in and accelerated away from them. He galloped out really well, and I hope he can learn to relax just a bit more in the first part of the race. If he does, I don’t think he’ll have any trouble going further.”

Jeremy Rose (jockey, Jackson Bend, 2nd) – “My horse ran his heart out. The two-horse (Buddy’s Saint) never got in our way, he sort of just bounced off the rail but we stayed clear of that.”

Jose Lezcano (jockey, Buddy’s Saint, 9th) - “The other horses came in like nothing (on the first turn). I was already in a spot, and they came in and killed my horse; put him into the rail. He came back a little bit to run, but I was out of the race by then because of what happened.”

Older Comments about Fountain of Youth Quotes...

The question is, does Eskendereya vault ahead of Lucky on your list and everyone else's.
Huge effort by Eskendereya in the FOY. He was #3 on my last Derby Top 10. When my new list comes out next week, the Pletcher runner will almost certainly shoot to the top.