• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 1 day ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 1 day ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 1 day ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 5 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 7 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 8 days ago

Fountain of Youth Quotes

Gulfstream Park
Photo: MEC

FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH

Todd Pletcher (Eskendereya) – “You’ve got to be excited when they perform like that in these kind of races at this time of year. I was particularly pleased with the way he finished. I don’t think we’ve ever gotten to the bottom of him. We threw a lot at him in the Breeders’ Cup (Juvenile) in just his third start and first on synthetic. In the first turn I knew he had no chance. He was jostled badly and sandwiched between horses. At one point I don’t think any of his feet were touching the ground (finished 9th beaten 6 ½ lengths by winner). He’s had two wins over the track here now, so the Florida Derby would seem logical for him, but we will consider all the options.”

John Velazquez (jockey, Eskendereya, 1st) – “I didn’t want to take too good a hold of him out of the gate, and I got to a point early on the backstretch where I started to move forward with him. I was hoping that I didn’t take too much out of him. Obviously I didn’t, because he went on, and did it very well. It was great feeling when he kicked in and accelerated away from them. He galloped out really well, and I hope he can learn to relax just a bit more in the first part of the race. If he does, I don’t think he’ll have any trouble going further.”

Jeremy Rose (jockey, Jackson Bend, 2nd) – “My horse ran his heart out. The two-horse (Buddy’s Saint) never got in our way, he sort of just bounced off the rail but we stayed clear of that.”

Jose Lezcano (jockey, Buddy’s Saint, 9th) - “The other horses came in like nothing (on the first turn). I was already in a spot, and they came in and killed my horse; put him into the rail. He came back a little bit to run, but I was out of the race by then because of what happened.”

Older Comments about Fountain of Youth Quotes...

The question is, does Eskendereya vault ahead of Lucky on your list and everyone else's.
Huge effort by Eskendereya in the FOY. He was #3 on my last Derby Top 10. When my new list comes out next week, the Pletcher runner will almost certainly shoot to the top.