• Gold Rush Dancer (14-1) pulls the upset in Del Mar's Real Good Deal Stakes.Posted 22 hours ago
  • Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 1 day ago
  • Exaggerator is going in the Haskell, according to Steve Edelson of the Asbury Park Press.Posted 1 day ago
  • The Gurkha wins a Sussex thriller over Galileo Gold and Ribchester.Posted 1 day ago
  • Amis Gizmo romps home in the Prince of Wales at Fort Erie.Posted 1 day ago
  • Long On Value (7-2) cuts back and rolls in the Lucky Coin Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Songbird repels the challenge of Carina Mia, and romps home in the CCA Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Up With the Birds swings to victory in Woodbine's Nijinsky Stakes.Posted 4 days ago
  • Tin Type Gal rides the rail to victory in Monmouth's Boiling Springs.Posted 4 days ago
  • California Chrome edges Dortmund in a San Diego Handicap showdown.Posted 4 days ago

Flashy American Takes Locust Grove

Trainer Kenny McPeek is considering a run in the $2 million Breeders’ Cup Distaff with Flashy American after the 4-year-old filly won Saturday night’s 30th running of the $111,400 Locust Grove at Churchill Downs.

Flashy American gave jockey Corey Lanerie back-to-back stakes victories – he won the $173,250 Iroquois aboard 34-1 longshot Cleburne one race earlier – when she ran 1 1/16 miles over a fast track in 1:43.53. She wore down leader Wine Princess in the late stages of the race to win by 1 ¼ lengths.

Flashy American collected her second straight stakes win and banked $66,996 for owner Art Preston’s Preston Stables LLC. In her previous start, she prevailed in the $100,000 Alada at Saratoga.

Overall, the Kentucky-bred has won seven of 22 starts and $392,129.

The gray/roan daughter of Flashy Bull was forwardly placed as Amie’s Dini led the field of eight fillies and mares through early fractions of :24.32, :48.37 and 1:12.44. Runner-up Wine Princess grabbed the lead in the stretch but could not withstand the drive of Flashy American, who closed with a rush.

Flashy American, the 8-5 favorite, returned $5.20, $3 and $2.20. Wine Princess, the second betting choice under Shaun Bridgmohan, paid $3.20 and $2.80. Awesome Flower, a 9-1 shot ridden by Alan Garcia, finished another 5 ¾ lengths back in third and paid $4.

Ciguaraya, Amie’s Dini, Molly Morgan, Ice Cream Silence and Twice the Lady completed the order of finish. Bahia Beach and Magic Hour were scratched.

We’re thinking Breeders’ Cup Distaff with her,” McPeek said of Flashy American. “She just keeps getting better and better.”

He added that she could prep for the Nov. 2 race in the $250,000 Zenyatta (GI) at Santa Anita in three weeks on Sept. 28.

LOCUST GROVE QUOTES

KEN McPEEK, trainer of FLASHY AMERICAN (winner): “I was worried a little bit. I was thinking ‘Could we get to her?  Could we get to her?’ But she found another gear. I didn’t train her very hard into this race. I thought she ought to be able to do this without having to press on her too hard. We’re thinking Breeders’ Cup Distaff with her. She just keeps getting better and better. Thank goodness they didn’t claim her off me.”

Q: Will this be it for her before Breeders’ Cup? “It may be. I’ll look at that Grade I in California (The Zenyatta) and she how that comes up. I’ve got her nominated and if not, we’ll just wait.”

COREY LANERIE, rider on FLASHY AMERICAN (winner): “Sitting at the three-eighths pole I thought I had dead-aim on her and I said ‘I’ve got the race won.’  Then right about the quarter pole he (Bridgmohan) spurted away from me. It took me a while, because my filly’s so big, to get momentum going. Once she started going I still thought it was going to be close, but right at the end she was just drawing away.”

STEVE MARGOLIS, trainer of WINE PRINCESS (runner-up): “It was a good race and she had a good trip. It was a :48 half and she got a good stalking trip. Shaun (Bridgmohan) made his run (on Wine Princess) and the other filly just had a little more late. Flashy American had to run us down and that filly has been in very good form at Saratoga and everywhere, so losing to her is no disgrace.”

Q: You raced her with blinkers for the first time.  Did that work out as you’d hoped? “Yeah, they worked well. We might take a shot and go to the Spinster off this.”

SHAUN BRIDGMOHAN, jockey on WINE PRINCESS (runner-up): “She ran hard. She tried all the way.”

Q: Did you think you had it turning for home? “She turned for home and she kicked on and I thought for sure she was going to get there, but the other horse just ran her down.  But I thought she was trying the whole way.”