SARATOGA SPRINGS — Five trophies that were on display at the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame were stolen during a smash-and-grab burglary late Thursday night. The Saratoga Springs Police Department is investigating the crime.
The trophies stolen are:
• 1903 Belmont Stakes Trophy, won by Africander
• 1903 Brighton Cup Trophy, won by Hermis
• 1905 Saratoga Special Trophy, won by Mohawk II
• 1914 Brook Cup Handicap Steeplechase Trophy, won by Compliment
• 1923 Grand National Steeplechase Trophy, won by Sergeant Murphy
“These trophies are irreplaceable. We are saddened by this unfortunate event and hopeful that the investigation leads to the apprehension of the individual or individuals who committed this crime and the return of the trophies,” said Christopher Dragone, Director of the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Saratoga Springs Police Department at (518) 584-1800. Please direct any inquiries about the investigation to Saratoga Springs Police Department Investigations Lieutenant John Catone.
The Museum will be closed until Sept. 19.
Photos of the trophies: