• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 3 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 3 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 3 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 3 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 3 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 3 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 3 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 4 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 9 days ago

Five Iron Straight and Strong in Saranac

Saratoga 2013 logo.
Five Iron took the lead coming out of the gate and was never threatened as he rolled to a 2 ½-length victory in the Grade 3, $150,000 Saranac for 3-year-old turf horses on Sunday at Saratoga Race Course.

With Luis Saez in the irons, the Sharp Humor colt cruised through a quick opening quarter-mile in 22.97 seconds and a half in 46.76 as Joha and Frac Daddy gave chase through the early going. Sweeping three-wide into the stretch, Five Iron began drifting out but had plenty left to fend off the late challenge from favored Notacatbutallama, hitting the wire in 1:48.21 for 1 1/8 miles over a turf course rated "good."

"The trainer [Brian Lynch] told me the horse has a lot of speed and to try to take the lead," said Saez, aboard Five Iron for the first time. "The lead came easy to my horse so I let him run. Coming for home, I still had a lot of horse. When I saw Notacatbutallama coming, I knew we could hold him off. He gave me everything he had to win this race."

The victory was the third straight and first in a graded stake for the Canadian-based colt, winner of the Victoria Park and Toronto Cup stakes in his two most recent starts at Woodbine. Owned by Fred Allor, he is now 4-2-1 from 11 career starts with earnings of $381,060.

"I knew if he could get the lead and get left alone, he'd be very dangerous," said Lynch. "He's a very determined horse. I've never had a horse prick his ears when he makes the lead like that and run into the bridle like he does. He's a fun horse, and as he's gotten older, he's found his niche and become effective at it."

Sent off at 5-1, Five Iron returned $12.80 for a $2 win bet.

Notacatbutallama, whose three-race win streak came to an end, was 2 ½ lengths in front of third-place finisher Joha.

"I thought he ran well, like he always does," said Todd Pletcher, who trains the beaten favorite for Repole Stable. "He tried hard. The winner set solid fractions on a turf course that's not that firm and just kept going. I think we were second best today."

Completing the order of finish were Tattenham, Front, Favor Factor, and Frac Daddy. Main Track Only entrants Battier, Micromanage and Saint Vigeur were scratched.