• Arrogate draws post position #9 for Saturday's Dubai World Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Vale Dori (6-5) wins a virtual match race over Finest City in the G1 Santa Margarita.Posted 5 days ago
  • Malagacy (3-1) remains unbeaten with an impressive Rebel win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Enola Gray (2-5) much the best down the hill in the Irish O'Brien.Posted 5 days ago
  • Jenda's Agenda (2-5) stays unbeaten with a facile win in the Caeser's Wish.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mor Spirit (1-2) too good in the Essex at Oaklawn Park.Posted 6 days ago
  • Distinta (11-1) gets up on the shadow of the wire in the Inside Information.Posted 6 days ago
  • Twisted Tom (4-1) gets up in the final jump to win the Private Terms.Posted 6 days ago
  • Streamline (12-1) upsets the Azeri; rough trip for favorite Terra Promessa.Posted 6 days ago
  • Clothes Fall Off (6-5) undresses the competition in the Correction.Posted 6 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Dubai World Cup 2017

Five Iron Straight and Strong in Saranac

Saratoga 2013 logo.
Five Iron took the lead coming out of the gate and was never threatened as he rolled to a 2 ½-length victory in the Grade 3, $150,000 Saranac for 3-year-old turf horses on Sunday at Saratoga Race Course.

With Luis Saez in the irons, the Sharp Humor colt cruised through a quick opening quarter-mile in 22.97 seconds and a half in 46.76 as Joha and Frac Daddy gave chase through the early going. Sweeping three-wide into the stretch, Five Iron began drifting out but had plenty left to fend off the late challenge from favored Notacatbutallama, hitting the wire in 1:48.21 for 1 1/8 miles over a turf course rated "good."

"The trainer [Brian Lynch] told me the horse has a lot of speed and to try to take the lead," said Saez, aboard Five Iron for the first time. "The lead came easy to my horse so I let him run. Coming for home, I still had a lot of horse. When I saw Notacatbutallama coming, I knew we could hold him off. He gave me everything he had to win this race."

The victory was the third straight and first in a graded stake for the Canadian-based colt, winner of the Victoria Park and Toronto Cup stakes in his two most recent starts at Woodbine. Owned by Fred Allor, he is now 4-2-1 from 11 career starts with earnings of $381,060.

"I knew if he could get the lead and get left alone, he'd be very dangerous," said Lynch. "He's a very determined horse. I've never had a horse prick his ears when he makes the lead like that and run into the bridle like he does. He's a fun horse, and as he's gotten older, he's found his niche and become effective at it."

Sent off at 5-1, Five Iron returned $12.80 for a $2 win bet.

Notacatbutallama, whose three-race win streak came to an end, was 2 ½ lengths in front of third-place finisher Joha.

"I thought he ran well, like he always does," said Todd Pletcher, who trains the beaten favorite for Repole Stable. "He tried hard. The winner set solid fractions on a turf course that's not that firm and just kept going. I think we were second best today."

Completing the order of finish were Tattenham, Front, Favor Factor, and Frac Daddy. Main Track Only entrants Battier, Micromanage and Saint Vigeur were scratched.