• Family Tree game down the lane in winning the Iowa Oaks.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 5 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 6 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 6 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 6 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 6 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 6 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 6 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 7 days ago

Five Breeders' Cup longshots to watch

With more than 200 horses to be pre-entered next week for the Breeders' Cup at Churchill Downs, it's not too soon to start studying. I suggest next Friday you pick up the Daily Racing Form Breeders' Cup advance edition to get familiar with the fields.

I've already begun my handicapping, so I thought I'd share five horses I think will sneak under the radar and won't be favored. A lot can change in two weeks, so these are merely horses to think about, not final selections.

Atta Boy Roy will be a huge long shot in the Sprint. His last race, eighth in the grassy Woodford at Keeneland, colored his otherwise fine form. He has a ton of early speed and will be ridden by Calvin Borel, the king of Churchill Downs. He also won the Churchill Downs Handicap on Kentucky Derby day.

I hope trainer Ken McPeek runs Bridgetown in the Turf Sprint. Bridgetown ran an even fifth in the Nearctic last time out but is much better than that. His top race is fast enough to envision an upset at monster odds. If McPeek uses a Churchill jockey such as Borel, Robbie Albarado or Julien Leparoux, he'll be included on all my tickets.