• If you bet A Lot in the Paradise Creek, then the winning margin was "a lot" more than the wagering return!Posted 14 hours ago
  • The Nassau goes to Sky Treasure!Posted 14 hours ago
  • Sunday Rules runs them off their feet in the Spring Fever to remain undefeated!Posted 15 hours ago
  • Xtra Luck gets his first stakes win in the Louisville Handicap!Posted 15 hours ago
  • Joe Bravo earned win #5,000 with a victory aboard Boss Man today at Monmouth Park.Posted 16 hours ago
  • There's no catching Black Hornet in the Vigil Stakes at Woodbine.Posted 6 days ago
  • American Pharoah romps home in the Preakness!Posted 7 days ago
  • Ironicus explodes to win the Dixie going away.Posted 7 days ago
  • Ageless best in The Very One again, this time with a course record.Posted 7 days ago
  • Holy Boss much the best in the six furlong Chick Lang.Posted 7 days ago

Firenze Feeling Draws Away in Nellie Morse

Firenze Feeling wins 2014 Nellie Morse.
Photo: Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club
Michael Dubb, Bethlehem Stables LLC, Elkstone Group & David A. Ross’ Firenze Feeling saved ground to the far turn, angled outside and caught the frontrunner and then drew away to win the $100,000 Nellie Morse Stakes, the third of four stakes races at Laurel Park today.

Firenze Feeling is a lightly raced daughter of Macho Uno. She was making her first start since January 19, 2013 and her first for trainer Rudy Rodriguez. Apprentice Victor Carrasco was winning the first stakes of his budding career.

“Rudy told me to wait on her and to find room when I was ready,” Carrasco said. “When I found the room I got her to run and she was strong. We clipped heels on the first turn but when I got her to relax and she got some dirt kicked on her she was fine.”

Carrasco led all apprentice riders in victories (215) and earnings ($4.3 million) last year. Since November 13, he has ridden at least one winner in 27 of the 31 live racing days at Laurel Park, including 18 multiple win afternoons.

“Rudy has really helped me by letting me ride his stakes horse as a bug rider,” added Carrasco, who will find out Wednesday if he is a finalist for the Eclipse Award for top apprentice jockey in North America. “Rudy has really been great to me.”

Firenze Feeling completed the 1-1/16th mile distance in 1:48.69, winning by 4-3/4 lengths and paying $5.80 as the second betting choice. Pacesetter Celtic Katie finished second, while Access To Charlie was third.