• Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 2 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 2 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 3 days ago
  • Takeover Target flies home late to win from last in the Grade 2 Dixie.Posted 3 days ago
  • American Freedom fights back for Sir Barton victory.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mizz Money holds on to take the Gallorette (G3) by a nose.Posted 3 days ago
  • Justin Squared was too fast to catch in the Chick Lang.Posted 3 days ago
  • Lady Shipman does not disappoint with a victory in The Very One.Posted 3 days ago
  • Marengo Road gets ahead to take the James W. Murphy.Posted 4 days ago
  • Awtaad upsets Galileo Gold to win the Irish 2000 Guineas.Posted 4 days ago

Firenze Feeling Draws Away in Nellie Morse

Firenze Feeling wins 2014 Nellie Morse.
Photo: Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club
Michael Dubb, Bethlehem Stables LLC, Elkstone Group & David A. Ross’ Firenze Feeling saved ground to the far turn, angled outside and caught the frontrunner and then drew away to win the $100,000 Nellie Morse Stakes, the third of four stakes races at Laurel Park today.

Firenze Feeling is a lightly raced daughter of Macho Uno. She was making her first start since January 19, 2013 and her first for trainer Rudy Rodriguez. Apprentice Victor Carrasco was winning the first stakes of his budding career.

“Rudy told me to wait on her and to find room when I was ready,” Carrasco said. “When I found the room I got her to run and she was strong. We clipped heels on the first turn but when I got her to relax and she got some dirt kicked on her she was fine.”

Carrasco led all apprentice riders in victories (215) and earnings ($4.3 million) last year. Since November 13, he has ridden at least one winner in 27 of the 31 live racing days at Laurel Park, including 18 multiple win afternoons.

“Rudy has really helped me by letting me ride his stakes horse as a bug rider,” added Carrasco, who will find out Wednesday if he is a finalist for the Eclipse Award for top apprentice jockey in North America. “Rudy has really been great to me.”

Firenze Feeling completed the 1-1/16th mile distance in 1:48.69, winning by 4-3/4 lengths and paying $5.80 as the second betting choice. Pacesetter Celtic Katie finished second, while Access To Charlie was third.