• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 1 day ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 1 day ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 1 day ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 2 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 2 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 6 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 8 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 9 days ago

Firenze Feeling Draws Away in Nellie Morse

Firenze Feeling wins 2014 Nellie Morse.
Photo: Jim McCue, Maryland Jockey Club
Michael Dubb, Bethlehem Stables LLC, Elkstone Group & David A. Ross’ Firenze Feeling saved ground to the far turn, angled outside and caught the frontrunner and then drew away to win the $100,000 Nellie Morse Stakes, the third of four stakes races at Laurel Park today.

Firenze Feeling is a lightly raced daughter of Macho Uno. She was making her first start since January 19, 2013 and her first for trainer Rudy Rodriguez. Apprentice Victor Carrasco was winning the first stakes of his budding career.

“Rudy told me to wait on her and to find room when I was ready,” Carrasco said. “When I found the room I got her to run and she was strong. We clipped heels on the first turn but when I got her to relax and she got some dirt kicked on her she was fine.”

Carrasco led all apprentice riders in victories (215) and earnings ($4.3 million) last year. Since November 13, he has ridden at least one winner in 27 of the 31 live racing days at Laurel Park, including 18 multiple win afternoons.

“Rudy has really helped me by letting me ride his stakes horse as a bug rider,” added Carrasco, who will find out Wednesday if he is a finalist for the Eclipse Award for top apprentice jockey in North America. “Rudy has really been great to me.”

Firenze Feeling completed the 1-1/16th mile distance in 1:48.69, winning by 4-3/4 lengths and paying $5.80 as the second betting choice. Pacesetter Celtic Katie finished second, while Access To Charlie was third.