• In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 3 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 4 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 5 days ago
  • Takeover Target flies home late to win from last in the Grade 2 Dixie.Posted 5 days ago
  • American Freedom fights back for Sir Barton victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mizz Money holds on to take the Gallorette (G3) by a nose.Posted 5 days ago
  • Justin Squared was too fast to catch in the Chick Lang.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lady Shipman does not disappoint with a victory in The Very One.Posted 5 days ago
  • Marengo Road gets ahead to take the James W. Murphy.Posted 5 days ago

Fire Tricks Placed First in Isaac Murphy

Meryl J. Squires-Cannon’s first career stakes win as an owner came Saturday afternoon in the $100,000-added Isaac Murphy Handicap at Arlington International Racecourse when Fire Tricks was elevated to first after Ragnar Korthase’s Frabster was disqualified from first to third for interference with William Stiritz’s Scarlet Power.  Racing at the tail of the field most of the race, the daughter of Hat Trick made a menacing effort while six-wide in the stretch and crossed the wire a half-length astern Frabster.

Meanwhile to the inside, Frabster – after establishing a lead in upper stretch under Tim Thornton – ducked inwards under right-handed pressure and crossed into the path of Scarlet Power, under Israel Ocampo.  Frabster went on to cross the wire first, while Scarlet Power steadied twice en route to a third-place finish, necessitating a disqualification for impediment.  Frabster was demoted to third by the stewards and Scarlet Power elevated to second.

“I had a perfect trip until the last sixteenth-pole,” said Ocampo.  “When I hit the quarter pole, she was full of run and finishing pretty good, but unfortunately I had to check pretty hard.  Otherwise, I probably would have got the job done.”  Thornton, on the other hand, declined commentary stating “I have nothing to say.”

The six-furlong distance was timed in 1:11.58 over the Arlington Polytrack, with fractions of :22.98 and :46.57 set by defending champion Kip Berries, while receiving pressure from Algonquin Posse, Frabster and Stormin Elle. Sent off at 19-1, Fire Tricks returned $39.80, $17.20 and $9 as the third-longest shot of the 10 fillies and mares, earning $49,134 to boost her career bankroll to $288,020.  The Isaac Murphy was the 5-year-old granddaughter of Sunday Silence’s first stakes win for trainer Sharon Wilson.

“My filly ran hard.  She was the only one to come from behind,” said winning jockey Eduardo Perez.  “I took my time and tried to save as much ground as I could.  Then I took her outside and she made a big run.  We got lucky today.”

Wayne Catalano-trained beaten favorite Stormin Elle retreated to fifth under E. T. Baird.  “It was an alright trip.  I wound up sitting in a good spot.  (Frabster) was sitting right inside of me. When she pushed the button, I pushed mine and she left me behind.  (Stormin Elle) ran a good race and didn’t get beaten far at all.  We’ll come back another day.”

Scarlet Power returned $6.20 and $4.40, while Frabster paid $5.40 to show.  Dolly Peach, Stormin Elle, Algonquin Posse, Royal Posh, Beeway, Smiling Gambler and Kip Berries rounded out the field.