• Sunbean raises his career record to 12-for-19 lifetime with a Delta Mile victory! Posted 17 hours ago
  • Ocho Ocho Ocho edges Mr. Z in the Delta Downs Jackpot! Posted 18 hours ago
  • Take Charge Brandi scores again, this time in the Delta Downs Princess!Posted 19 hours ago
  • Strike Charmer flew away with the Cardinal! Posted 19 hours ago
  • Yahilwa and Mike Smith get the job done in the Treasure Chest!Posted 20 hours ago
  • Honor Code returns a winner in an Aqueduct allowance! Posted 21 hours ago
  • Ben's Cat vs. Bern Identity in 2014 Fabulous Strike at Penn National.Posted 1 day ago
  • Cigar Mile hopeful Itsmyluckyday drilled a 5f bullet in 1:00.40 at GPW on Nov 20.Posted 1 day ago
  • No Problem a game winner of the Bob Hope! Posted 7 days ago
  • Sparkling Review closes powerfully to win the Mrs Revere! Posted 7 days ago

Erick Lopez Makes Fresh Start in California

It wouldn’t be much of a stretch to say that Erick Lopez could ride before he could walk.

Fact is, the son of jockey C.C. Lopez and grandson of retired rider Chuck Lopez was on his first horse at the age of eight and was galloping at race tracks when he was 15.

Now 25, Lopez hopes to make a fresh start in California, starting Friday at Santa Anita when he rides Mr. Why Why for trainer Mike Pender in the second race. A native of Marlboro, N.J., in the heart of The Garden State’s horse country, hard by Freehold Raceway and Monmouth Park in Oceanport, Lopez rode his first race at The Meadowlands in 2007.

In addition to family tutorship, Erick rubbed elbows with some of racing’s elite when he was a boy, so his segue to the saddle was a natural.

“I’ve known Angel Cordero and Jorge Velazquez since I was a kid,” said Lopez, bright, breezy and forthright in his demeanor. “In fact, both were my agents back East. (Cordero’s main man is Hall of Fame rider John Velazquez).”

Lopez is represented by agent Jerry (The Fisherman) Palermo, a Runyonesque race track character who gained his nickname from working on fishing boats. “But I’ve been an agent for 33 years,” he quickly adds.

“I met Erick right here in Santa Anita’s parking lot. I showed him some of my paintings (another Palermo avocation), we hit it off, and here we are.”