Ticker
  • Family Tree game down the lane in winning the Iowa Oaks.Posted 20 hours ago
  • Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 5 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 6 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 6 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 6 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 6 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 6 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 6 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 6 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 7 days ago

Enhanced Security in Place for Wood Memorial

The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) and the New York State Gaming Commission today announced enhanced security measures for the April 6 Grade 1, $1 million Wood Memorial at Aqueduct Racetrack.

 

This afternoon, blood samples will be taken from horses expected to compete in the Wood Memorial for out-of-competition testing. Analysis of the samples will be conducted by New York State’s Equine Drug Testing Program and is expected to be complete by Saturday morning. Starting today, Wood Memorial starters will be monitored at all times by additional security personnel in their respective barns/stalls at Aqueduct and Belmont. Gaming Commission investigative staff will assist NYRA in these efforts.

 

NYRA Reorganization Board Chair David J. Skorton said, “The coordinated efforts between NYRA and the Gaming Commission demonstrate that New York is committed to working together to ensure integrity and equine health and safety. NYRA’s mission statement, ‘meeting the highest standards in thoroughbred racing and equine safety,’ is exemplified by these additional steps for one of our most important stakes. We look forward to an exciting race on Saturday.”

 

New York State Gaming Commission Acting Executive Director Robert Williams said, “We are proud to join NYRA in implementing these security measures for high stakes races. As we demonstrated with similar measures in the Belmont and Travers Stakes races last year, everyone invested in horse racing – from the trainers to the equine health experts to the betting public – deserves to know that equine athletes are being well cared for and competing on an even playing field.”

 

New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association President Rick Violette Jr. said, “New York's horsemen give their full support to any initiative that provides an added level of protection for our horses and our fans, and we welcome measures that level the playing field for all competitors.”

 

 

 

comments powered by Disqus

Older Comments about Enhanced Security in Place for Wood Memorial...

No wonder BB didn't send anybody :)
This has Rudy's name written all over it. For all of us, including the great horse, he had better have a clean Vyjack.

Related Pages

Related Stories

Top Stories