• Highland Reel wins another big one, this time in the Prince of Wales's at Royal Ascot.Posted 1 day ago
  • Highland Reel (2-1) powers to victory in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (G1) at Royal AscotPosted 1 day ago
  • Lady Aurelia (2-1) easily wins at Royal Ascot again in the King's Stand (G1).Posted 2 days ago
  • Timeline (1-10) cruises in Monmouth's Pegasus Stakes to remain perfect..Posted 4 days ago
  • Sweeping Paddy (7-2) pounces and scores in the Regret Stakes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Gun Runner (1-2) romps home much the best in the Grade 1 Stephen Foster.Posted 5 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled (1-1) way too much for her Fleur de Lis foes.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kasaqui (3-1) rolls down the lane to victory in the Wise Dan.Posted 5 days ago
  • Faypien (7-2) edges Mopotism in the Grade 2 Summertime Oaks.Posted 5 days ago
  • McCraken (1-5) rolls to a facile score in the Matt Winn.Posted 5 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Royal Ascot 2017

Emma's Encore Upsets Victory Ride for Jerkens

allenjerkens

Hall of Fame trainer H. Allen Jerkens bolstered his reputation as the “Giant Killer” at Belmont Park Saturday afternoon, sending out 39-1 Emma’s Encore to upset previously undefeated Agave Kiss in the Grade 3, $150,000 Victory Ride.

After breaking alertly, Emma’s Encore settled into fifth as favored Agave Kiss dueled with Jamaican Smoke through a blistering opening quarter-mile in 21.46. Jamaican Smoke headed the favorite to run a half-mile in 44 flat as Emma’s Encore began to gain momentum. Third at the top of the stretch, Emma’s Encore kicked clear through the final sixteenth of a mile to win by 2 ¾ lengths. Her final time for six furlongs was 1:08.89 and she returned $80 as the longest shot in the field of six sophomore fillies.

“I was so confident in the filly,” said jockey Junior Alvarado. “[Chief] said ‘There’s going to be a lot of speed in the race.’ She broke really good, really sharp and got herself comfortable. By the five-sixteenths pole, she started to pick it up and I said to myself, ‘Wow, they’re going to have to be running today for her to get beat’ because she picked it up right away and gave me a nice, good kick.”

While Alvarado may have had confidence, Jerkens was pleasantly surprised to win his first graded stakes since Le Grand Cru captured the Grade 3 Westchester in 2010.

“I saw her break [on the television monitor], and then I couldn’t find her because I didn’t have the energy to walk out here,” her said in the winner’s circle. “I finally made it. I thought I was going to pull a Walter Brennan. Remember that movie [“Kentucky,” released in 1938]? He died when he got to the winner’s circle.

“It’s so nice to be back and win one. [Owner Brenda Mercer] sent her to me [in Florida], I never knew the lady before, and then after she won she sold a half interest to Mr. [ Peter] Berglar. I guess he’s pretty happy now, too. I know I am.”

A 3-year-old daughter of Congrats, Emma’s Encore broke her maiden at Gulfstream Park on February 24, and on to win an optional claimer the following month. Both victories came at six furlongs, and she made her next start in the Grade 2, 1 1/8-mile Gulfstream Park Oaks, finishing last of eight.

“We made a mistake and ran her in that mile-and-an-eighth race,” Jerkens said. “It looked like this was a mistake, too, till now. It’s amazing, because I didn’t have anything else, and the lady sent me this filly and she turns out to be good.”

Jamaican Smoke held second, followed by Tu Endie Wei, Sea Island, Agave Kiss and Gypsy Robin.

“It wasn’t her day today,” trainer Rudy Rodriguez of Agave Kiss, who suffered her first defeat in her seventh start.

Jerkens was left pondering the next step for Emma’s Encore, who earned $90,000 for her Victory Ride triumph and ran her record to 3-1-1 from nine starts.

“I was being optimistic when I picked this race,” Jerkens said. “We’ll probably think about the Prioress [Grade 1, Saratoga Race Course, August 4]. We’ve had a little luck in the Test Stakes [Grade 1, Saratoga, August 25], too. It’s so nice to win one. We hadn’t been doing any good at all lately, so this really helps a lot.”