• Danzing Candy (3-10) makes it look easy going all the way in a muddy Lone Star Handicap.Posted 8 hours ago
  • Ashleyluvssugar (5-2) bursts through under Gary Stevens to win his 2nd Charles Whittingham.Posted 8 hours ago
  • In his first race since the Travers, Destin finishes 3rd in the 8th at Belmont.Posted 10 hours ago
  • The well bred Souper Tapit (9-5) runs to the money in the Marine Stakes.Posted 11 hours ago
  • Cloud Computing will not run in the Belmont Stakes, instead waiting for Saratoga's Jim Dandy.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Cupid (7-1) makes a winning comeback in the Grade 1 Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 1 day ago
  • Illuminant (8-5) sneaks up the rail to capture the Grade 2 Monrovia.Posted 1 day ago
  • Cowboy Culture (5-2) is the clear victor in the Grade 3 Arlington Classic.Posted 1 day ago
  • Lady Eli (3-5) keeps Goodyearforroses at bay to win the Grade 1 Gamely.Posted 1 day ago
  • Finley'sluckycharm (1-5) runs away with the Grade 3 Winning Colors.Posted 1 day ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Belmont Stakes 2017

Eddie Read Stakes Quotes

Del Mar logo

VICTOR ESPINOZA (The Usual Q.T.) -- "He's learned to relax; it's made all the difference for him. I was just sitting back there behind those front two (Acclamation and Enriched) and they were going in and out. I thought for a second (on the turn) I was going to go down inside, but then I decided I didn't have to. I went wide and he just drew out. I took a pretty good hold of him at the end. He was a winner. I didn't need to do anything more with him."

COREY NAKATANI (Victor's Cry) -- "The race didn't quite set up the way we wanted. We thought there'd be more pace in there. But he kicked for me at the end and I got through inside and fired. But the winner was gone. He's a nice horse."

JOEL ROSARIO (Enriched) -- "He ran good. The winner is a nice horse. But my horse ran well and we'll get them next time."

MIKE SMITH (Crowded House) -- "That pace wasn't what we expected here. I maybe should have been a little more aggressive with him and got up in the pocket. He might have done better with that."

CHRISTIAN SANTIAGO REYES (Acclamation) -- "He just got a little bit tired. He ran well, but got tired."

JIM CASSIDY (The Usual Q.T.) -- "He tries every single time. I didn't want Victor (Espinoza) to go inside [as they turned for home]. I didn't want to get the horse stopped. Victor was smart enough to see that and he just took a little hold and went outside. When he got in the clear, I looked back at the field and couldn't see anybody coming. If he doesn't have any horses next to him, he can relax and that's what he did today. I'll keep an eye on the weather in Chicago [for the Arlington Million]. I'm not going to run him there if the ground is bad. If that happens, we'll look at things here and consider the Del Mar Handicap [Sunday, August 29] or even the Pacific Classic [Saturday, August 28] on the Polytrack."

EOIN HARTY (Victor's Cry): "I think he ran a great race. The fractions were slower than I thought they would be. But I think I just got beat by the best horse."

The stakes win was the first at the meet for Victor Espinoza, but his 63rd overall at Del Mar. He now ranks eighth all time in stakes wins at the shore. It was also his second victory in the Eddie Read. The stakes win was the first at the meet for Jim Cassidy, but his sixth overall at Del Mar. It was his first in the Eddie Read.

The winner's final time of 1:47.28 means he ran his last eighth of a mile in an extremely rapid :11.14, despite being hard held late.