• Haveyougoneaway (7-2) wears down Paulassilverlining to win the Honorable Miss at Saratoga.Posted 31 minutes ago
  • Exaggerator is going in the Haskell, according to Steve Edelson of the Asbury Park Press.Posted 4 hours ago
  • The Gurkha wins a Sussex thriller over Galileo Gold and Ribchester.Posted 7 hours ago
  • Amis Gizmo romps home in the Prince of Wales at Fort Erie.Posted 21 hours ago
  • Long On Value (7-2) cuts back and rolls in the Lucky Coin Stakes.Posted 2 days ago
  • Songbird repels the challenge of Carina Mia, and romps home in the CCA Oaks.Posted 2 days ago
  • Up With the Birds swings to victory in Woodbine's Nijinsky Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • Tin Type Gal rides the rail to victory in Monmouth's Boiling Springs.Posted 3 days ago
  • California Chrome edges Dortmund in a San Diego Handicap showdown.Posted 3 days ago
  • Mokat (7-1) turns the San Clemente into a one-filly show.Posted 3 days ago

Eddie D Proud of Race in His Honor

Eddie Delahoussaye

Eddie Delahoussaye is not only excited to have a stakes race named for him by Santa Anita on opening day next Friday, more importantly, he’s thrilled to be here in person to see history unfold.

The popular Hall of Fame rider, who retired due to injuries in 2003, is looking forward to the inaugural running of the Grade III Eddie D Stakes, formerly run as the Morvich Stakes, at about 6 ½ furlongs on the turf.

“It’s great,” Delahoussaye said. “It’s exciting and I’m very honored that my peers thought I was deserving. Like I told (Santa Anita Publicity Director) Mike Willman, ‘Usually they do this stuff when people die.’ I said, ‘I hope I make it. Maybe you know something I don’t know.’ We were laughing about it.

“But I think they’ve done the right thing. More things like this should be done while people are alive so they can still enjoy it. I thank everyone who was instrumental in naming this race, and for the new names of other stakes at Santa Anita this meet.

“I thank Mr. Stronach (Frank Stronach, Founder and Chairman of The Stronach Group which owns Santa Anita). People can say what they want about him, but he bought Santa Anita and other tracks, and if he hadn’t bought them, who would have?

“You have to give him credit. He’s trying to keep racing going. Some people have been critical about his methods, but he’s been successful.”

Delahoussaye is himself trying to maintain a degree of success, plying his trade as a bloodstock agent. His most recent venture came at the Keeneland September Yearling Sales.

“We did well there,” said Delahoussaye, who hasn’t lost the down home accent or sense of humor from his native Louisiana.

“We bought four and tried to get two more but either they didn’t pass the vet or we got outbid. Otherwise, sales were strong. For the economy the way it is, I think they did real well.”

Testimonials are unanimous in support of Delahoussaye as person and a rider, as noted in the following from Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert:

“Eddie Delahoussaye gave me my first biggest thrill in horse racing when he won the Breeders’ Cup for me with Thirty Slews down at Gulfstream Park (in 1992). I’ll never forget it. I was so nervous. I kept giving him instructions, and he told me not to be so nervous and to relax.

“I said, ‘No, the reason I’m this way is because I know I’ve got a shot to win.’ When I won that race that day, I thought that was it and that it can’t get any better than that. I’ll always be grateful to Eddie for that one big day. And I think it’s great that Santa Anita is honoring him.”

Older Comments about Eddie D Proud of Race in His Honor...

Eddie Delahoussaye, who will be on hand opening day for the inaugural Eddie D Stakes, celebrated his 61st birthday today.
Go Eddie D! The Ragin Cajun!