• Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 4 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 5 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 5 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 5 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 5 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 6 days ago
  • Cupid has been removed from consideration from the Kentucky Derby; Mo Tom is now in.Posted 10 days ago

Dunkin Bend, Miss Behaviour Win at Monmouth

New Monmouth Park logo
Michael Langford’s Dunkin Bend rallied three-wide turning for home before opening up to a length and a quarter score in the Grade 3, $100,000 Sapling Stakes as Miss Behaviour trounced her rivals in the $100,000 Sorority Stakes, drawing away to an impressive 8 ¼ length score before a 15,726 Sunday crowd at Monmouth Park.

Trained by Steve Asmussen, Dunkin Bend covered the six furlongs over a fast main track in 1:11 4/5, and paid $4 and $2.40 as the favorite in the field of four 2-year-old colts.  Pacesetter Yes I’m Lucky completed the $7.80 exacta and paid $2.60 to place.  Run for Logistics, who had trouble shortly after the start, checked in third with Foileen fourth.

“I saw two horses going to the front so I settled him just off of that,” said winning jockey Ricardo Santana Jr.  “He relaxed very nice and made a good move around the turn. We were a little wide, but when I asked him he kicked on and held well.”

A son of Dunkirk from the Vindication mare Misty Run, Dunkin Bend has won two of his three lifetime starts, good for earnings of $117,000.

In the Sorority Stakes, the Phil Schoenthal trained Miss Behaviour moved by pacesetter Flay Mignon heading into the turn before asserting her authority through the lane.  She returned $8.20, $3.80 and $3.20 and topped a $23 exacta.  Yes Liz rallied for the place, paying $3.20 and $2.60.  It was another 2 ½ lengths back to Mallory Street, who paid $4.60 to show.  The time for the six furlongs was 1:11 2/5.

“She just has so much natural speed,” said winning rider Garry Cruise.  “She’s just such a professional for a 2-year-old filly.  A couple times she tugged at me, asked for a little bit more and when I gave it to her she went even faster.  During the race, I was thinking to myself, ‘could I possibly have this much horse?’ Turns out I did.”

A daughter of Jump Start from the Successful Appeal mare Successful Romance, the Pennsylvania-bred Miss Behaviour is a perfect two-for-two, having broken her maiden at Parx on July 22.  She has earned $87,000 for owners Cal MacWilliam and Neil Teitelbaum.

Live racing continues at Monmouth Park on Monday, Sept. 2, for a special Labor Day card.  Gates open 11:30 a.m., first post 12:50 p.m.