• Chance of Luck (7-2) holds on to take the Inaugural StakesPosted 13 minutes ago
  • Whitmore wins the 6th race at Aqueduct, his first race back since the Kentucky Derby.Posted 51 minutes ago
  • Even Thunder (5-2) holds on to win the King's Swan.Posted 1 day ago
  • Effinex, earner of more than $3.3 million, has been retired to stud in New York.Posted 4 days ago
  • Back on dirt, Midnight Storm (8-5) rolls home in the Native Diver.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kitasan Black, the favorite, scores victory in the Japan Cup.Posted 6 days ago
  • Farrell (10-1) easily wires the field in the Grade 2 Golden Rod.Posted 6 days ago
  • Connect (3-2) nips Divining Rod in an excellent Cigar Mile stretch duel.Posted 6 days ago
  • Mo Town (4-1) much the best in the Grade 2 Remsen at Aqueduct.Posted 7 days ago
  • Miss Sky Warrior (5-1) holds off Jamyson 'n Ginger in the Demoiselle.Posted 7 days ago

Dunkin Bend, Miss Behaviour Win at Monmouth

New Monmouth Park logo
Michael Langford’s Dunkin Bend rallied three-wide turning for home before opening up to a length and a quarter score in the Grade 3, $100,000 Sapling Stakes as Miss Behaviour trounced her rivals in the $100,000 Sorority Stakes, drawing away to an impressive 8 ¼ length score before a 15,726 Sunday crowd at Monmouth Park.

Trained by Steve Asmussen, Dunkin Bend covered the six furlongs over a fast main track in 1:11 4/5, and paid $4 and $2.40 as the favorite in the field of four 2-year-old colts.  Pacesetter Yes I’m Lucky completed the $7.80 exacta and paid $2.60 to place.  Run for Logistics, who had trouble shortly after the start, checked in third with Foileen fourth.

“I saw two horses going to the front so I settled him just off of that,” said winning jockey Ricardo Santana Jr.  “He relaxed very nice and made a good move around the turn. We were a little wide, but when I asked him he kicked on and held well.”

A son of Dunkirk from the Vindication mare Misty Run, Dunkin Bend has won two of his three lifetime starts, good for earnings of $117,000.

In the Sorority Stakes, the Phil Schoenthal trained Miss Behaviour moved by pacesetter Flay Mignon heading into the turn before asserting her authority through the lane.  She returned $8.20, $3.80 and $3.20 and topped a $23 exacta.  Yes Liz rallied for the place, paying $3.20 and $2.60.  It was another 2 ½ lengths back to Mallory Street, who paid $4.60 to show.  The time for the six furlongs was 1:11 2/5.

“She just has so much natural speed,” said winning rider Garry Cruise.  “She’s just such a professional for a 2-year-old filly.  A couple times she tugged at me, asked for a little bit more and when I gave it to her she went even faster.  During the race, I was thinking to myself, ‘could I possibly have this much horse?’ Turns out I did.”

A daughter of Jump Start from the Successful Appeal mare Successful Romance, the Pennsylvania-bred Miss Behaviour is a perfect two-for-two, having broken her maiden at Parx on July 22.  She has earned $87,000 for owners Cal MacWilliam and Neil Teitelbaum.

Live racing continues at Monmouth Park on Monday, Sept. 2, for a special Labor Day card.  Gates open 11:30 a.m., first post 12:50 p.m.