• Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 10 hours ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 6 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 6 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 6 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 6 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 6 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 6 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 7 days ago

Dublin Fires Derby Bullet

Dublin captures the 2009 Hopeful at Saratoga for trainer D. Wayne Lukas and jockey Jamie Theriot
Dublin worked a bullet five furlongs in :59.20 after the renovation break Monday morning with jockey Terry Thompson up.

Working in company with Buzzin and Dreamin, Dublin broke off about a length and a half behind his workmate, passed Buzzin and Dreamin on the far turn and finished 13-14 lengths ahead at the wire. Clockers caught Dublin in fractions of :11.80, :23.20, :35.20, :47.20 with a six-furlong gallop out time of 1:13.20.

“I’m going to need a faster rabbit,” four-time Kentucky Derby-winning trainer D. Wayne Lukas said after the work. “I thought it was an excellent work. I liked the way he did it. It was a little quick. It is hard to say it was in company; it was almost a solo work.

“The first work here, it is the energy that you want to see and I saw that today. I think he really fits. I like him as well as any of them I’ve had.”

Thompson, who never has ridden in the Kentucky Derby, liked the work.

“We were shooting for :59,” Thompson said. “He passed his company early. We were hoping to get to the head of the stretch, but Dublin passed him early and I let him go on so we could get close to what Wayne wanted.”

Thompson almost had a Kentucky Derby start in 2003.

“I was 24 hours from the gate,” said Thompson, who had won the Arkansas Derby on Sir Cherokee. “It was probably the biggest low for me to hear that he hurt his leg (fractured right hind). I went from the biggest high to the biggest low.”

Thompson rode Dublin to a runner-up finish in the Southwest (GIII) in February and a third-place finish in the Arkansas Derby (GI).

“I think Terry is riding as well as anybody in the nation right now and he has great chemistry with the horse,” Lukas said. “We had made a change of riders, but it didn’t work and we had the sense to switch back. If it wasn’t broken, it shouldn’t have been fixed.”

Older Comments about Dublin Fires Derby Bullet...

This one is on the cuff of acceptablity energy distribution wise,,,,will have to see two thing before that position will change: how this one matches up to the field, and how his energy profile withstood 9 frulongs. If his % median is in projected Derby range of 67.2 to67.8 after 9 furlongs jhe might have a shot....
He flattened out early in both his last races. Blood line says 1 1/16 mi.
I agree arazi. None of the Derby hopefuls have run ten furlongs, so singling out horses like Dublin as "distance challenged" is reckless handicapping.
I'm not sure why so many people think Dublin is distance challenged?
This one, though on an improving mode, seems significantly distance challenged.
Typical Lukas work. I thought they might try to have a slower work in hopes of him relaxing and settling well back early in the Derby.