• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 3 days ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 4 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 7 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 8 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 11 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 13 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 13 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 14 days ago

Dreamy Kid Stuns Coil in Swaps

July 9, 2011.Dreamy Kid ridden by Joseph Talamo coming up on the outside to win te Swaps Stakes at Hollywood Park, Inglewood, CA
Trainer Bob Baffert had to settle for second and third in the afternoon’s supporting feature, the $150,000 Swaps Stakes.

Dreamy Kid, who was making his first start in blinkers and first in a graded race, shocked heavily-favored Coil to win by a head.

Trained by Neil Drysdale for owner-breeder Robert S. Evans, the 3-year-old son of Lemon Drop Kid and the Silver Hawk mare Dreams was rated off the pace set by Runflatout, split horses with less than a quarter of a mile to go before rallying outside Coil to prevail after the 1-2 choice had gained the lead early in the stretch.

There were plenty of other firsts in the 38th Swaps. The win was the first in the Grade II for jockey Joe Talamo, who had never collaborated with Dreamy Kid in the afternoon prior to Saturday.

The 19-1 surprise came nearly 12 months to the day when Talamo, riding 1-5 favorite Sidney’s Candy, was beaten by a head by Skipshot in the 2010 Swaps.

In providing his Hall of Fame trainer with his third Swaps victory – the others were Forceten (1975) and Prized, who stunned Sunday Silence in 1989 – Dreamy Kid increased his earnings to $138,880. He’s won two of five. His previous victory was a 7-1 upset of maidens May 26.

The second longest shot in a field reduced to five after the scratch of Boxeur des Rues, Dreamy Kid paid $40, $8 and $4.40. He ran the 1 1/8 miles over Cushion Track in 1:50.43. He carried 112 pounds, six fewer than the runner-up.

An impressive winner of his two turn debut in the Grade III Affirmed Handicap June 11, Coil paid $2.60 and $2.10 as the 1-2 favorite. He finished 2 ¼ lengths in front of stablemate Uncle Sam. The show price on Uncle Sam was $3. Runflatout, who tired after a stutter step start, and Spud Spivens completed the order of finish.

“I’ll tell you what, I’m real glad Neil let me work him last time,’’ said Talamo, referring to a 47 1/5 bullet half mile drill Dreamy Kid turned in four days earlier. “I really think that made a big difference. He was in blinkers and went the last quarter in 22 2/5 (seconds).

“That’s unheard of, not only for a 3-year-old, but even a stakes horse. That’s why I waited as long as I did. I knew that right when I asked him, he’d kick.

“I thought about going around on the far turn, but I hate going that wide. Anytime you go four wide they’ll usually hang the last part. So I went to wait and wait and I said you know if he runs like he works, he’ll win. And man he really had a nice turn of foot. He’s the kind of horse that’s just going to get better and better.’’

In perfect tracking position outside Runflatout for most of the nine furlongs, Coil had no excuses as he lost for the first time in four starts since being privately purchased by Baffert for owners Mike Pegram, Kartl Watson and Paul Weitman.

“He just got beat,’’ said Coil’s rider Martin Garcia. “I just rode my horse. I didn’t worry about anyone else. There really wasn’t a difference between last time and this time. He ran well, just not well enough to win today.’’

Drysdale was quick to credit David Flores, who had ridden Dreamy Kid in all of his previous starts, for the decision to add blinkers.

“David confirmed when he rode last time that he did need blinkers,’’ said Drysdale, who indicated Talamo gained the mount Saturday because of his ability to make the assigned weight. “He’s a nice, developing 3-year-old.’’

Baffert, who was seeking a record fifth Swaps victory, said Coil will make his next appearance in either the $500,000 Jim Dandy Stakes July 30 at Saratoga or the $1 million Haskell Invitational July 31 at Monmouth Park.