• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 2 days ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 2 days ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 2 days ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 3 days ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 3 days ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 3 days ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 4 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 7 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 9 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 10 days ago

Dominguez Visits Aqueduct on Sunday

Ramon Dominguez (right) talking with Mike Luzzi (left) in the jockey’s room.
Photo: NYRA
Ramon Dominguez visited Aqueduct Racetrack on Sunday for the first time since being injured in a spill at the track on January 18.

Dominguez, New York’s leading rider 2009-2012, spent time in the jockeys’ room and talked with members of the press, racing officials, valets, and other riders.

“I’ve been thinking about coming to say ‘hello,’ but I just haven’t been able to find the time,” said the three-time reigning Eclipse Award winner for Outstanding Jockey who suffered a fractured skull in the incident. “It was great seeing my valet, all the other valets, and my friends. Everyone is happy to see me, and [I’m happy] to see them as well.”

Dominguez, 36, said he’ll have a better idea of when he might be able to resume riding after a doctor’s appointment on March 25.

“I’m pretty optimistic that he will find me good enough to come back,” said Dominguez. “From that point on, if he OKs me, it will just be a matter of getting fit again, and that shouldn’t take too long. I’m speculating, but it depends on what they say, and on the 25th we’ll see.”

The rider added that he is progressing well with his physical therapy regimens.

“Unless they’re lying to me, everyone is happy not only with my condition but with the progress I’ve made in a short period of time,” said Dominguez. “In the beginning, I felt like, ‘I’m OK! I don’t need this!’ but right away I realized I was getting a lot of help from all of the different types of exercises.”

Dominguez said that he has tried to limit his race watching so that he’ll remain patient as he makes a steady recovery.

“I miss [riding] a lot, but the truth is that I’ve tried not to follow or watch too many races,” said Dominguez. “I’ve probably watched enough races to put on one hand just because I don’t want to get too excited. I’ve tried to do everything by the book and listen to the doctor, so I’m definitely excited to come back soon.”

Older Comments about Dominguez Visits Aqueduct on Sunday...

Can't wait for him to resume riding! So glad he is OK!