• Party Boat (5-2) gets her head down to win the Wait a While.Posted 12 minutes ago
  • Fact Finding (8-5) draws clear of the Smooth Air field and keeps a perfect record.Posted 46 minutes ago
  • Lovable Lady (12-1) blasts away in the Willa On the Move Stakes.Posted 54 minutes ago
  • Paulassilverlining (1-9) makes easy work of the Garland of Roses field.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Sonic Mule (3-1) keeps the wins for Todd Pletcher rolling in the Buffalo Man.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Tapwrit (3-2) holds off stablemate Master Plan to win the Pulpit.Posted 1 hour ago
  • Lirica (5-2) finds a clear path to take the Hut Hut Stakes.Posted 3 hours ago
  • Bode's Dream (5-2) returns victorious in the House Party to remain undefeated.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Australia's Hugh Bowman wins the Longines International Jockey Challenge.Posted 3 days ago
  • Miss Temple City (8-5) hits the wire just in front in the Grade 1 Matriarch.Posted 5 days ago

Dirt Mile Clear Choice for Jersey Town

Up until the moment Jersey Town took the lead in Saturday’s Grade 2 Kelso, trainer Barclay Tagg wasn’t sure he had made the right decision in sending the 6-year-old in the one-mile race instead of the Grade 1 Vosburgh at six furlongs.

Looking ahead to the Breeders’ Cup, however, the choice is clear.

“He’ll go in the [$1 million] Dirt Mile,” said Tagg. “I was really going back and forth between the Vosburgh and the Kelso, and I think in a mile you have a bit more maneuverability. I thought the top two horses in the Kelso were Billy [Mott’s] horse [To Honor and Serve] and Shackleford. I love Billy’s horse and I’ve watched him do some marvelous things. I’ve never felt I had anything that could come close to him, but he can be a little inconsistent. And I thought if he’s inconsistent, then I just have Shackleford to worry about, and maybe I should go in the Kelso. I was weighing it back and forth, back and forth, and I didn’t know whether I had made the right choice until he made the lead. But, it worked out well.”

Jersey Town, whose last victory prior to the Kelso came in the 2010 Grade 1 Cigar Mile Handicap at Aqueduct, likely will head to Santa Anita as “late as possible,” said Tagg.

“We’ll try to keep him as fit and happy and healthy as we can, get him out there, and see what happens,” said Tagg, who has had five Breeders’ Cup starters, with his best finishes a pair of fourth-place efforts in 2007 at Monmouth Park from Tale of Ekati in the Juvenile and Nobiz Like Shobiz in the Mile. “I don’t know what I’m going to run into out there.

“He might not even like the track; you never know,” he added. “And then what do you do? Do you get him out there early and try and get him used to the track? And then what happens, a lot of times, is if they don’t like the track they just get worse and worse and worse. And if they do like it, you didn’t need to get out there early. So I prefer to go in at the last possible second.”