• Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 3 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 4 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 4 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 4 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 4 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 4 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 5 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • Cupid has been removed from consideration from the Kentucky Derby; Mo Tom is now in.Posted 10 days ago

D’Amato Saddles First Winner As Trainer

Philip D’Amato won his first race as a trainer in his own right when first-time starter Love That Action rallied from well off the pace to win Thursday’s eighth race by a neck under Joe Talamo at odds of 18-1. It was the third win on the day for Talamo.

The 34-year-old D’Amato’s primary claim to fame to date is as assistant to trainer Mike Mitchell. “I’ve been with him going on seven years,” D’Amato said by phone from Hollywood Park. “This was my fourth starter on my own and my first win.”

A native of San Pedro, D’Amato graduated from Rancho Palos Verdes High School before matriculating to USC. After graduating, he attended the Arizona Race Track School program.

Despite the fact that double-digit longshots swept the last four races in Thursday’s Pick 6 races, there was one winning ticket worth $65,896.40.

“I wish it was mine,” D’Amato said, “but it wasn’t.”