• Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 4 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 4 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 4 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 5 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 5 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 5 days ago
  • Long On Value clearly Best in the Canadian Turf. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Street Babe surprise the Mineshaft field at Fair Grounds.Posted 5 days ago
  • Main Sequence storms home late to win the Mac Diarmida! Posted 5 days ago

Craving Carats Ready for With Anticipation

Saratoga Race Course 2012 logo
Photo: NYRA

Donegal Racing’s Craving Carats breezed five furlongs in 1:00.95 this morning on the main track in preparation for his next engagement, Thursday’s Grade 2, $200,000 With Anticipation.

The 1 1/16-mile grass race for 2-year-olds became a target for the Dale Romans-trained son of Street Sense after he scored a gate-to-wire turf maiden win August 4 at the Spa. In that race, he beat nine other horses, running 1 1/16 miles in 1:42.96.

Craving Carats is a seasoned runner, with four races under his belt. Romans said he doesn’t believe the colt needs the lead to win.

“I don’t think so; he was just the fastest in that race,” Romans said. “I won’t be surprised if he sat off the pace [in the With Anticipation]. I love Street Sense. I think he’s going to be a serious sire. I have three of them, and they all seem to have quality to me.”

Craving Carats made his first two starts sprinting on dirt, stretched out to seven furlongs for his initial turf start and then scored in his first time going two turns.

“He’s such an easy-moving horse,” Romans said.

Romans also said that Preakness and Metropolitan Handicap winner Shackleford is on course for his run in the Grade 1, $500,000 Forego, a major seven-furlong sprint for 3-year-olds and up, on September 1 at the Spa.

Shackleford will work an easy half-mile Sunday morning for the race, said Romans, who is blotting out the eighth-place finish in the mud his colt turned in last out in the Grade 1 Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap on August 5.

“I’m just saying it was the mud and keep pushing forward,” Romans said.