• Disco Partner (5-2) rolls last to first to win the Elusive Quality on the Belmont lawn.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Battalion Runner and Malagacy will NOT run in the Kentucky Derby, per Todd Pletcher.Posted 5 hours ago
  • Thunder Snow confirmed for the Kentucky Derby by Godolphin.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Quiet Business (16-1) powers home to win the Bewitch at Keeneland.Posted 1 day ago
  • Celtic Chaos (7-1) gets up on the wire to win the Affirmed Success.Posted 1 day ago
  • Girvin, the Kentucky Derby points leader, has a quarter crack, via Byron King.Posted 2 days ago
  • Party Boat (7-2) takes the Memories of Silver on the Aqueduct turf.Posted 6 days ago
  • Dolphus (6-5), Rachel Alexandra's half-brother, wins AQU allowance; Shagaf lastPosted 6 days ago
  • Multiplier (4-1) kicks it in late to get past Hedge Fund in the Illinois Derby.Posted 7 days ago
  • Collected (3-5) rolls home much the best in the Californian.Posted 7 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Kentucky Derby 2017

Cot Campbell: A Horse Life Well Lived (Video)

Cot Campbell interview

Dogwood President Cot Campbell owes the game of Thoroughbred racing nothing, and he knows the game owes him nothing in return. Still, to hear him speak plainly and poetically about the horses and game he loves, it seems fitting that the horse racing gods have granted him a Classic winner and second choice in Saturday's Travers Stakes in Palace Malice. A three-year-old son of Curlin purchased at Campbell's target price of $200,000, he says, if Palace Malice was a human, he would be someone you'd be happy to hang around.

Quick with his wit and willing to laugh at himself, Campbell was the easiest of interviews. Questions were answered thoughtfully with room to both chuckle and learn. Our scheduled interview time of 10 minutes quickly went to 20, before I thought I should let the 85-year-old go on his Saratoga way. When we were done, Cot had a peppermint or two for Palace Malice and then slowly walked down trainer Todd Pletcher's shedrow with his wife, Anne, and I felt like a better person.

Luckily, we'll still get to see the Dogwood silks into next year with 25 horses, including a group of two-year-olds in training. Campbell's aptly named last Dogwood purchase, Finalize, just may have the makings of a Classic winner. Maybe? It's at least fun considering that Campbell's last act in horse racing will carry on for an encore.

Most in the horse racing industry at least "know of" Campbell, who has written about, spoken about and lived amongst Thoroughbreds at the highest levels (and lowest levels) for close to 50 years. Here is a man with a command of the language of horses and humans, generous in spirit and as authentic a person you'll meet. Do yourself a favor: watch and listen…

Older Comments about Cot Campbell: A Horse Life Well Lived (Video)...

Enjoyed spending time with Cot and Tony!
I had the privilege and pleasure to be present in the press room for the Belmont press conference after PM's win, and I don't think I've been as humbled by the presence of anyone in my life. He's one of my heroes and to get to meet and converse with him was amazing. He told me all about what PM meant to him and you could tell how happy and grateful he was to have a horse like Palace Malice. I'll never forget that experience.
Badabing, you've done it again. Another great interview! Thank you!
I wish I'd made a better point to meet him back in the day.
The best Cot Campbell interview I've ever seen. He's always been one of my favorites, and I look forward to his celebration on Saturday!