• Whitmore wins the 6th race at Aqueduct, his first race back since the Kentucky Derby.Posted 29 minutes ago
  • Even Thunder (5-2) holds on to win the King's Swan.Posted 1 day ago
  • Effinex, earner of more than $3.3 million, has been retired to stud in New York.Posted 4 days ago
  • Back on dirt, Midnight Storm (8-5) rolls home in the Native Diver.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kitasan Black, the favorite, scores victory in the Japan Cup.Posted 6 days ago
  • Farrell (10-1) easily wires the field in the Grade 2 Golden Rod.Posted 6 days ago
  • Connect (3-2) nips Divining Rod in an excellent Cigar Mile stretch duel.Posted 6 days ago
  • Mo Town (4-1) much the best in the Grade 2 Remsen at Aqueduct.Posted 7 days ago
  • Miss Sky Warrior (5-1) holds off Jamyson 'n Ginger in the Demoiselle.Posted 7 days ago
  • Verve's Tale (20-1) powers by Lewis Bay late to win the Comely.Posted 7 days ago

Comma to the Top hangs on at one mile

As promised by trainer Peter Miller, Comma to the Top and Corey Nakatani went straight to the lead in Sunday’s featured $65,000, one-mile Big Bear Handicap at Santa Anita, and the 4-year-old Florida-bred gelding never relinquished command, winning by a half-length while getting the distance in 1:35.98.

“The plan was to go to the lead,” said Nakatani, who also celebrated his 42nd birthday on Sunday. “He’s got speed and that’s what he likes best. I was a little concerned about his fitness today at this distance, but he was ready.”

When asked about the likelihood of a birthday celebration, Nakatani responded, “When you’re 42, it’s just another day.”

Comma to the Top, who was a close fourth in the Grade III Eddie D Stakes at 6 ½ furlongs down the hillside turf course on Sept. 28, was dispatched as the 7-5 favorite. He broke from post position number three in the five-horse Big Bear and set fractions of 23.48, 46.53, 1:10.31 and 1:22.75.

A winner at two of the Grade I CashCall Futurity at Hollywood Park, he paid $4.80, $3.00 and $2.10. With the winner’s share of $39,600, the son of Bwana Charlie, who is owned by Gary Barber, Roger Birnbaum and Kevin Tsujihara, boosted his earnings to $961,696 from a record of 23-10-2-1.

“He looked like the only speed but we were worried about it,” said Miller. “If they went, he would sit. He can rate, but he looked like the fastest horse on form, but this business is so crazy, you never know…He’s almost at a million dollars and we paid $22,000 for him. He’s my all-time favorite. He’s just a warrior, just a class act, good around the barn and just a lot of fun to train.”

Tres Borrachos, who at age seven had the distinction of being the Big Bear’s elder statesman, tried valiantly under Garrett Gomez, but had to settle for the place, a neck in front of 4-year-old Jaycito, who chased the winner to the half-mile pole.

“I felt myself in a nice little spot and had plenty of time to get him, but I just couldn’t catch him,” said Gomez. “I thought I was going to get the leader a couple times but I couldn’t get my horse to level off enough to get it done, and Pete’s horse just wouldn’t back up enough, either. Today we were just second best.”

Tres Borrachos made his 42nd career start in the Big Bear and paid $3.40 and $2.40. Jaycito, a winner of the Grade I Norfolk as a 2-year-old, finished 8 ¼ lengths clear of the fourth-place finisher, Shaun Washington. Jaycito paid $2.40 to show.