• Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 4 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 4 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 4 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 5 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 5 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 5 days ago
  • Long On Value clearly Best in the Canadian Turf. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Street Babe surprise the Mineshaft field at Fair Grounds.Posted 5 days ago
  • Main Sequence storms home late to win the Mac Diarmida! Posted 5 days ago

Comma to the Top Faces Big Guns

commaECL
The decision for trainer Peter Miller to make on Thursday was this: Run his 2010 CashCall Futurity winner Comma to the Top in that day’s $78,000 allowance feature against a field that included 2011 Haskell Invitational winner Coil, or wait until Sunday for the Grade I, $300,000 Bing Crosby.

Miller chose the Crosby. For reasons he outlined Friday morning.

“The race (Thursday) came up like a stakes (for quality of competition) and the Bing Crosby has a short field (five) for a lot more money,” Miller explained. “I also want to assure an honest pace in the Crosby for Mr. (Gary) Barber’s other horse, Don Tito.”

TV magnate Gary Barber owns, in separate partnerships, a share of both the speed-packing Comma to the Top and mid-pack closer Don Tito, who is trained by John Sadler.

“Bob Baffert (trainer of favored The Factor) might not like it, but I have to do what’s best for my clients,” Miller said. “I’m sure the other trainers are happy (Comma to the Top) is in there.”