• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 1 day ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 4 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 6 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 8 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 11 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 11 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 11 days ago
  •  Work All Week holds off Delaunay in the Iowa Sprint!Posted 12 days ago

Chips All In Upsets Eddie Logan

Chips All In, a $4,500 sales purchase who had won his first three starts before losing by a head, registered an 11-1 upset in the day’s supporting feature, the $75,000 Eddie Logan Stakes for 2-year-olds at one mile on turf.

Ridden by Alonso Quinonez, Chips All In tracked the early pace set by Champions Gate, took the lead entering the stretch and staved off the rally of runner-up Sheer Talent by 1 ¼ lengths. The winning time was 1:34.86.

Stoney Fleece, the 3-1 second choice who had run fifth in the California Breeders’ Championship Stakes on Santa Anita’s main track five days before, finished third, a half-length back of the runner-up in the field of nine. Daddy Nose Best, the 9-10 favorite, was never a factor, finishing fifth.

Trained by Jeff Mullins for the partnership of Gene Everest, John O’Brien and Daniel Valdez, Chips All In had won his first three starts at tracks ranging from Golden Gate to Del Mar to Arapahoe Park in Colorado where he won the $100,000 Gold Rush Futurity. He subsequently suffered his only setback in the Golden Nugget Stakes at Golden Gate. The Eddie Logan was his first start on turf.

“We always kind of thought he would take to the grass,” said Mullins. “He had breezed good on it. But he was out of conditions, so we didn’t have any other choice. He made us look good.”

“My horse was just galloping around there,” Quinonez said. “I knew the leader was going really easy, so I didn’t want him to get the jump on me. I knew Gomez (Garrett, on Sheer Talent) was right behind me going to the far turn and I didn’t want to let him push me out, so I had to hold my position. When we turned for home, he put himself in the race, and when I hit him left-handed, he re-broke. It was a great way to finish the year.”

The winner paid $25.20, $11.40 and $6. Sheer Talent paid $7.80 and $5.60. Stoney Fleece, ridden by Corey Nakatani, paid $3.40 to show. The winning purse of $47,400 increased the earnings of Chips All In to $149,800.

The Eddie Logan was named in memory of the iconic figure who operated a shoe shine stand outside Santa Anita’s racing office from the day the track opened on Christmas Day, 1934 until shortly before his death at the age of 98 on Jan. 31, 2009.