• Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 3 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 6 days ago
  • Stanford finds his way back to the winner's circle in the Charles Town Classic.Posted 6 days ago
  • Rose Brier sets new course record in the Henry S. Clark.Posted 6 days ago
  • Da Big Hoss lives up to his name with the Dixiana Elkhorn win.Posted 6 days ago
  • Raging Smoke leads all the way in the Sugar Maple.Posted 6 days ago
  • Highland Sky flies home to Woodhaven victory.Posted 6 days ago
  • Brooklynsway upsets I'm A Chatterbox in the Doubledogdare at 25-1.Posted 7 days ago

Check The Label Takes Sands Point

Check the Label rewarded jockey Ramon Dominguez’s patience in the Grade 2, $150,000 Sands Point for 3-year-old fillies at Belmont Park on Memorial Day, splitting horses after finding room to draw clear to a handy score.

Winner of the Grade 3 Appalachian at Keeneland the last time she went postward, Check the Label settled in midpack along the rail and raced behind a wall of horses as the field turned for home. Forced to check slightly at the head of the lane, the Brereton C. Jones homebred found a seam with a furlong to go and needed only minimal urging to kick clear to a 1 ½-length victory over Crescenda.

“At the three-eighths there was a little bit of concern because I knew the one and two fillies [Ultimate Class and More is Better] wouldn’t necessarily keep going, and sure enough I found myself on heels, trying to find a way through,” said Dominguez. “I was just pleased that after having to check my filly she was able to be there for me.”

Check the Label had just two wins from nine starts when she entered the Appalachian, but winning trainer Graham Motion believes the Kentucky-bred daughter of Smart Strike has improved vastly in recent months.

“I thought at the top of the stretch she might be in trouble, but she is good enough that she was able to overcome it,” said Motion. “This filly has changed more than any other I have in the barn; she just keeps getting better, so it’s really exciting. I really haven’t looked beyond this race. We have plenty of options.”

The 5-2 second choice in the field of seven, Check the Label returned $7.40 for a $2 win bet and negotiated the 1 1/8 miles over the inner turf course in 1:47.16. With the victory, she improved her record to 4-2-1 from 11 starts and boosted her career earnings to $253,927.

Negligee, the 2-1 favorite, flattened out to finish 4 ¼ lengths behind the winner. Khancord Kid, More Is Better, Hit It Rich, and Ultimate Class completed the order of finish. Strike It Rich was scratched.