• Magic Mark upsets the Bertrando Stakes at 11-1 to kickoff the Los Alamitos meet.Posted 1 day ago
  • Salutos Amigos dominant in Monmouth Park's Mr. Prospector.Posted 5 days ago
  • Crucero upsets the San Juan Capistrano at odds of 23-1.Posted 5 days ago
  • La Verdad skips through the Belmont slop to a victory in the Dancin Renee.Posted 5 days ago
  • Treve too much for Flintshire and the rest in today's Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud.Posted 6 days ago
  • Golden Lad surges late to score in the Prairie Meadows Cornhusker.Posted 6 days ago
  • Bent on Bourbon has his coming out party in the Iowa Derby.Posted 6 days ago
  • Departing slips through on the hedge to win the Firecracker.Posted 6 days ago
  • Sarah Sis just holds off Pangburn in the Iowa Oaks.Posted 6 days ago
  • Cosmic Evolution edges away to victory in the Debutante.Posted 6 days ago

Centralinteligence Okay After Malibu Adventure

Centralinteligence, who was vying for the lead in the opening day Malibu Stakes when he inexplicably took up sharply going into the far turn and dropped back to eventually finish last in the field of 10, came out of the Grade I affair in good shape, according to co-owner Bob Feld, who represents Bongo Racing Stable.

“He was sound after the race,” said Feld Thursday morning from Clockers’ Corner. “Ron (Ellis) jogged him and he seems fine. He’ll probably walk for a week and then jog another week and we might look for a two-other-than (allowance race).

“We went from being in front to being eliminated, so that was very disappointing. It’s hard to say what happened for sure, but Hoorayforhollywood was outside of us and he came in and it looked like our horse shied from that. It looked like Joel (Rosario) took hold of him and at that point, he threw his head and we got shuffled way back.

“I really think that had that not happened, he would have been no worse than second and I think he’d have been head and head with The Factor to the wire. I think he’d have made a race of it.”

Centralinteligence, a 3-year-old Kentucky-bred gelding by Smarty Jones, came into the Malibu off a strong second-place allowance finish on Nov. 27 at Hollywood Park to highly regarded Smash, who ended up running seventh in the Malibu. Centralinteligence was dispatched at odds of 7-1.

Despite his misfortune in the Malibu, Feld was impressed with the opening day crowd of 44,579.

“It was a phenomenal day,” said Feld. “At this point in my life, and I’ve been coming here for more than 40 years, I do remember the glory days and this was just like that. I haven’t seen that many cars in the infield parking lot in many years. Everywhere I went, the place was just jammed and people were having a great time.”