• Disco Partner (5-2) rolls last to first to win the Elusive Quality on the Belmont lawn.Posted 4 hours ago
  • Battalion Runner and Malagacy will NOT run in the Kentucky Derby, per Todd Pletcher.Posted 6 hours ago
  • Thunder Snow confirmed for the Kentucky Derby by Godolphin.Posted 9 hours ago
  • Quiet Business (16-1) powers home to win the Bewitch at Keeneland.Posted 1 day ago
  • Celtic Chaos (7-1) gets up on the wire to win the Affirmed Success.Posted 1 day ago
  • Girvin, the Kentucky Derby points leader, has a quarter crack, via Byron King.Posted 2 days ago
  • Party Boat (7-2) takes the Memories of Silver on the Aqueduct turf.Posted 6 days ago
  • Dolphus (6-5), Rachel Alexandra's half-brother, wins AQU allowance; Shagaf lastPosted 6 days ago
  • Multiplier (4-1) kicks it in late to get past Hedge Fund in the Illinois Derby.Posted 7 days ago
  • Collected (3-5) rolls home much the best in the Californian.Posted 7 days ago
Breeders Cup 2015
Kentucky Derby 2017

Cassidy Savors Del Mar Training Double

Del Mar logo
Back-to-back victories to close out Friday’s card, the first by Holy Lute in the El Cajon Stakes, provided a late-in-the-meeting boost for trainer Jim Cassidy’s stable. David Flores was up as Holy Lute held off favored Fury Kapcori in the El Cajon and guided Van Dien Avenue to a half-length win in the nightcap.

“We had a lot of fun,” Cassidy said. “It was very well done, David rode well and I told all my (stable crew) great job. And the horses seem to be really good this morning.”

Holy Lute had provided Cassidy his only previous victory of the meeting, winning by 2 ¼ lengths at 6 ½ furlongs on August 10 in his second career start. Cassidy had no reservations about the son of Midnight Lute making the step from a maiden race to a $100,000 stake.

“I’ve been high on this colt from the beginning. It would be nice to have a little seasoning, but I thought he could handle it pretty well,” Cassidy said. “I told the owners I thought he would run great and if he didn’t win I’d be disappointed. It worked out.”

Holy Lute will likely be seen next in an early stakes at the Santa Anita fall meeting. A good performance there, Cassidy said, and consideration would be given for the Breeders’ Cup Mile.