• Even Thunder (5-2) holds on to win the King's Swan.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Effinex, earner of more than $3.3 million, has been retired to stud in New York.Posted 3 days ago
  • Back on dirt, Midnight Storm (8-5) rolls home in the Native Diver.Posted 5 days ago
  • Kitasan Black, the favorite, scores victory in the Japan Cup.Posted 6 days ago
  • Farrell (10-1) easily wires the field in the Grade 2 Golden Rod.Posted 6 days ago
  • Connect (3-2) nips Divining Rod in an excellent Cigar Mile stretch duel.Posted 6 days ago
  • Mo Town (4-1) much the best in the Grade 2 Remsen at Aqueduct.Posted 6 days ago
  • Miss Sky Warrior (5-1) holds off Jamyson 'n Ginger in the Demoiselle.Posted 6 days ago
  • Verve's Tale (20-1) powers by Lewis Bay late to win the Comely.Posted 6 days ago
  • Texas Ryano (2-1) much the best in the Hollywood Turf Cup.Posted 7 days ago

Cassidy Savors Del Mar Training Double

Del Mar logo
Back-to-back victories to close out Friday’s card, the first by Holy Lute in the El Cajon Stakes, provided a late-in-the-meeting boost for trainer Jim Cassidy’s stable. David Flores was up as Holy Lute held off favored Fury Kapcori in the El Cajon and guided Van Dien Avenue to a half-length win in the nightcap.

“We had a lot of fun,” Cassidy said. “It was very well done, David rode well and I told all my (stable crew) great job. And the horses seem to be really good this morning.”

Holy Lute had provided Cassidy his only previous victory of the meeting, winning by 2 ¼ lengths at 6 ½ furlongs on August 10 in his second career start. Cassidy had no reservations about the son of Midnight Lute making the step from a maiden race to a $100,000 stake.

“I’ve been high on this colt from the beginning. It would be nice to have a little seasoning, but I thought he could handle it pretty well,” Cassidy said. “I told the owners I thought he would run great and if he didn’t win I’d be disappointed. It worked out.”

Holy Lute will likely be seen next in an early stakes at the Santa Anita fall meeting. A good performance there, Cassidy said, and consideration would be given for the Breeders’ Cup Mile.