• Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 3 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 4 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 4 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 4 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 4 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 4 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 4 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 4 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 5 days ago
  • Champion Untapable has been retired from racing, according to owner, Ron Winchell.Posted 10 days ago

Cassidy Savors Del Mar Training Double

Del Mar logo
Back-to-back victories to close out Friday’s card, the first by Holy Lute in the El Cajon Stakes, provided a late-in-the-meeting boost for trainer Jim Cassidy’s stable. David Flores was up as Holy Lute held off favored Fury Kapcori in the El Cajon and guided Van Dien Avenue to a half-length win in the nightcap.

“We had a lot of fun,” Cassidy said. “It was very well done, David rode well and I told all my (stable crew) great job. And the horses seem to be really good this morning.”

Holy Lute had provided Cassidy his only previous victory of the meeting, winning by 2 ¼ lengths at 6 ½ furlongs on August 10 in his second career start. Cassidy had no reservations about the son of Midnight Lute making the step from a maiden race to a $100,000 stake.

“I’ve been high on this colt from the beginning. It would be nice to have a little seasoning, but I thought he could handle it pretty well,” Cassidy said. “I told the owners I thought he would run great and if he didn’t win I’d be disappointed. It worked out.”

Holy Lute will likely be seen next in an early stakes at the Santa Anita fall meeting. A good performance there, Cassidy said, and consideration would be given for the Breeders’ Cup Mile.