• Texas Chrome (2-1) bravely squeezed through on the rail for an Oklahoma Derby win.Posted 1 day ago
  • Unbridled Mo (4-1) rides the rail to victory in the Remington Park Oaks.Posted 2 days ago
  • Accelerate (1-1) rallies to win the Los Alamitos Derby (G2).Posted 2 days ago
  • Connect (10-1) upsets the Pennsylvania Derby.Posted 3 days ago
  • Songbird (1-5) gets win number 11 in the Cotillion (G1) at Parx Racing.Posted 3 days ago
  • Noholdingback Bear (3-1) wins the Gallant Bob (G3) at Parx Racing.Posted 3 days ago
  • 2015 Turf Champion Big Blue Kitten has been retired from racing, via the Chad Brown barn.Posted 6 days ago
  • No catching Sarah Sis (10-1) in the Presque Isle Downs Masters.Posted 8 days ago
  • Victory to Victory  7-1) pulls clear in the Grade 1 Natalma Stakes.Posted 9 days ago
  • Good Samaritan (3-1) rolls to a Breeders' Cup birth with a Summer Stakes win.Posted 9 days ago

Cassidy Savors Del Mar Training Double

Del Mar logo
Back-to-back victories to close out Friday’s card, the first by Holy Lute in the El Cajon Stakes, provided a late-in-the-meeting boost for trainer Jim Cassidy’s stable. David Flores was up as Holy Lute held off favored Fury Kapcori in the El Cajon and guided Van Dien Avenue to a half-length win in the nightcap.

“We had a lot of fun,” Cassidy said. “It was very well done, David rode well and I told all my (stable crew) great job. And the horses seem to be really good this morning.”

Holy Lute had provided Cassidy his only previous victory of the meeting, winning by 2 ¼ lengths at 6 ½ furlongs on August 10 in his second career start. Cassidy had no reservations about the son of Midnight Lute making the step from a maiden race to a $100,000 stake.

“I’ve been high on this colt from the beginning. It would be nice to have a little seasoning, but I thought he could handle it pretty well,” Cassidy said. “I told the owners I thought he would run great and if he didn’t win I’d be disappointed. It worked out.”

Holy Lute will likely be seen next in an early stakes at the Santa Anita fall meeting. A good performance there, Cassidy said, and consideration would be given for the Breeders’ Cup Mile.