• Sunbean raises his career record to 12-for-19 lifetime with a Delta Mile victory! Posted 1 hour ago
  • Ocho Ocho Ocho edges Mr. Z in the Delta Downs Jackpot! Posted 2 hours ago
  • Take Charge Brandi scores again, this time in the Delta Downs Princess!Posted 3 hours ago
  • Strike Charmer flew away with the Cardinal! Posted 3 hours ago
  • Yahilwa and Mike Smith get the job done in the Treasure Chest!Posted 4 hours ago
  • Honor Code returns a winner in an Aqueduct allowance! Posted 5 hours ago
  • Ben's Cat vs. Bern Identity in 2014 Fabulous Strike at Penn National.Posted 1 day ago
  • Cigar Mile hopeful Itsmyluckyday drilled a 5f bullet in 1:00.40 at GPW on Nov 20.Posted 1 day ago
  • No Problem a game winner of the Bob Hope! Posted 7 days ago
  • Sparkling Review closes powerfully to win the Mrs Revere! Posted 7 days ago

Cassidy Savors Del Mar Training Double

Del Mar logo
Back-to-back victories to close out Friday’s card, the first by Holy Lute in the El Cajon Stakes, provided a late-in-the-meeting boost for trainer Jim Cassidy’s stable. David Flores was up as Holy Lute held off favored Fury Kapcori in the El Cajon and guided Van Dien Avenue to a half-length win in the nightcap.

“We had a lot of fun,” Cassidy said. “It was very well done, David rode well and I told all my (stable crew) great job. And the horses seem to be really good this morning.”

Holy Lute had provided Cassidy his only previous victory of the meeting, winning by 2 ¼ lengths at 6 ½ furlongs on August 10 in his second career start. Cassidy had no reservations about the son of Midnight Lute making the step from a maiden race to a $100,000 stake.

“I’ve been high on this colt from the beginning. It would be nice to have a little seasoning, but I thought he could handle it pretty well,” Cassidy said. “I told the owners I thought he would run great and if he didn’t win I’d be disappointed. It worked out.”

Holy Lute will likely be seen next in an early stakes at the Santa Anita fall meeting. A good performance there, Cassidy said, and consideration would be given for the Breeders’ Cup Mile.