• Unique Bella is off the Kentucky Oaks trail with a sore shin, per Steve Anderson.Posted 3 hours ago
  • Hence (10-1) rallies to win the Sunland Park Derby going away.Posted 1 day ago
  • Ghalia (2-1) edges a game Kell Paso in the Sunland Park Oaks.Posted 1 day ago
  • Itsinthepost (6-1) drives home the win in the Grade 2 San Luis Rey.Posted 2 days ago
  • Fear the Cowboy (7-2) comes running late to capture the Grade 3 Skip Away.Posted 2 days ago
  • Fast and Accurate (24-1) bursts through to upset the Grade 3 Spiral.Posted 2 days ago
  • Purely a Dream (12-1) pulls ahead in the stretch to take the Grade 3 Bourbonette Oaks.Posted 2 days ago
  • Arrogate, despite a dreadful break, wins the Dubai World Cup easily.Posted 3 days ago
  • Jack Hobbs is much the best in the Sheema Classic.Posted 3 days ago
  • Vivlos flies late to get up for the win in the $6 million Dubai Turf.Posted 3 days ago

Casablanca All Smiles in La Prevoyante

Green Hills Farm’s 5-year-old mare Casablanca Smile returned from an 11-month layoff to win the $100,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (G3) at Calder Casino & Race Course on the closing day of the 2011 Tropical Meet on Friday.  Interestingly, Casablanca Smile’s last race before this afternoon was the La Prevoyante Handicap (G3) at Calder during the final days of the 2010/11 Tropical Meet, in which she finished second behind Changing Skies.

Sent out by trainer Shug McGaughey, Casablanca Smile dominated all the pace in the 1 ½ miles La Prevoyante, covering the distance in 2:31.51 over firm turf with jockey Javier Castellano in the irons.  Castellano won the co-feature earlier on the card, the $100,000 Tropical Turf Handicap (G3), aboard Silver Medallion.

Casablanca Smile defeated Cheetah, who tracked the winner’s pace the entire race, by 1 ½ lengths.  It was another 2 ¾ lengths back to Tesoro de Amor in third place.  The winner paid $7.60, $3.80, and $3.20.

Winning trainer’s quotes:

Shug McGaughey (by phone from Kentucky) – “She’s a very, very classy filly. Naturally, you’d be concerned going this distance off that kind of layoff (since Jan. 2), but I liked that three-quarters in 1:18. That certainly helped. I had her entered in a race in New York before we came down here, but she came up with a little foot problem and I had to scratch her. She got over that real quick. I thought she’d run good today, and if she got beat, it would simply be the layoff. I think her best distance is between a mile-and-a-quarter and a mile-and-a-half. I’ll talk to the owner about her future in the next week and we’ll map out a plan for her future.”

Winning jockey’s quotes:

Javier Castellano – “I wasn’t concerned at all about the layoff.  The trainer did a great job bringing her back.  I rode her with a lot of confidence.  She gave me more than 100%.  She just galloped beautifully…she put herself on the lead.  Turning for home, I knew I had a lot of horse.  She has a powerful turn of foot and it was like she had just started the race.”