• In his first start since the Remsen, Gift Box rolls over a strong allowance field at Belmont.Posted 1 day ago
  • Nyquist has spiked a fever, delaying his trip to Belmont, via DRF's Dave Grening.Posted 4 days ago
  • Second Summer holds off Hard Aces to win the Grade 2 Californian.Posted 5 days ago
  • Exaggerator turns the tables and is victorious in the Preakness (G1).Posted 6 days ago
  • Takeover Target flies home late to win from last in the Grade 2 Dixie.Posted 6 days ago
  • American Freedom fights back for Sir Barton victory.Posted 6 days ago
  • Mizz Money holds on to take the Gallorette (G3) by a nose.Posted 6 days ago
  • Justin Squared was too fast to catch in the Chick Lang.Posted 6 days ago
  • Lady Shipman does not disappoint with a victory in The Very One.Posted 6 days ago
  • Marengo Road gets ahead to take the James W. Murphy.Posted 6 days ago

Casablanca All Smiles in La Prevoyante

Green Hills Farm’s 5-year-old mare Casablanca Smile returned from an 11-month layoff to win the $100,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (G3) at Calder Casino & Race Course on the closing day of the 2011 Tropical Meet on Friday.  Interestingly, Casablanca Smile’s last race before this afternoon was the La Prevoyante Handicap (G3) at Calder during the final days of the 2010/11 Tropical Meet, in which she finished second behind Changing Skies.

Sent out by trainer Shug McGaughey, Casablanca Smile dominated all the pace in the 1 ½ miles La Prevoyante, covering the distance in 2:31.51 over firm turf with jockey Javier Castellano in the irons.  Castellano won the co-feature earlier on the card, the $100,000 Tropical Turf Handicap (G3), aboard Silver Medallion.

Casablanca Smile defeated Cheetah, who tracked the winner’s pace the entire race, by 1 ½ lengths.  It was another 2 ¾ lengths back to Tesoro de Amor in third place.  The winner paid $7.60, $3.80, and $3.20.

Winning trainer’s quotes:

Shug McGaughey (by phone from Kentucky) – “She’s a very, very classy filly. Naturally, you’d be concerned going this distance off that kind of layoff (since Jan. 2), but I liked that three-quarters in 1:18. That certainly helped. I had her entered in a race in New York before we came down here, but she came up with a little foot problem and I had to scratch her. She got over that real quick. I thought she’d run good today, and if she got beat, it would simply be the layoff. I think her best distance is between a mile-and-a-quarter and a mile-and-a-half. I’ll talk to the owner about her future in the next week and we’ll map out a plan for her future.”

Winning jockey’s quotes:

Javier Castellano – “I wasn’t concerned at all about the layoff.  The trainer did a great job bringing her back.  I rode her with a lot of confidence.  She gave me more than 100%.  She just galloped beautifully…she put herself on the lead.  Turning for home, I knew I had a lot of horse.  She has a powerful turn of foot and it was like she had just started the race.”