• Far From Over is injured and off the Kentucky Derby trail, according to owner, James Covello.Posted 1 day ago
  • Materiality turns away the challenge of Upstart to win the Florida Derby.Posted 4 days ago
  • International Star reels in Stanford late to win the Louisiana Derby.Posted 4 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox sweeps the 3yo filly stakes at Fair Grounds with today's win in the Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Pants On Fire guts out a win in the Sir Shackleton.Posted 4 days ago
  • War Correspondent rolls late to win the Appleton.Posted 4 days ago
  • Prince Bishop wins the world's richest race; California Chrome 2nd.Posted 4 days ago
  • Dolniya dominates the boys in the Dubai Sheema ClassicPosted 4 days ago
  • Solow defeats The Grey Gatsby in the $6,000,000 Dubai TurfPosted 4 days ago

Can Silver Max extend streak in Va. Derby?

Silver Max will put his five-race win streak on the line Saturday night when going postward as a solid favorite in the Grade  2, $600,000 Virginia Derby, the annual showcase race at Colonial Downs in New Kent, Va.

Silver Max, with Robby Albarado to ride, will break from post 7 when facing eight other 3-year-olds in the Virginia Derby, which goes at 1 1/4 miles on the expansive turf course at Colonial. Silver Max has never raced farther than 1 1/16 miles.

“I’m really confident Robby can get him relaxed and settled,” said Dale Romans, who trains the speedy Silver Max for Louisville, Ky., businessmen Mark Bacon and Dana Wells. “If the horse keeps running like he has been, we should be fine.”

Older Comments about Can Silver Max extend streak in Va. Derby?...

I like Optimizer,Lucky Chappy,and Finnegans Wake for the place spot. Albarado rode Optimizerto a maiden win and a 2 nd on the grass as a 2yo on the grass so he will be aware of what Optimizer can do with him being on Silver Max.
Yes he has really come into his own on the turf, but Summer Front will be there to make a race out of it along with Optimizer.
I like Optimizer, but this will be a great race, Silvermax has been so impressive lately.
Well Silver Max is a great horse so I guess we'll just have to wait and see Saturday.
I think so Mr Thirsty.
At a 1 1/4 miles gelded1?
It's Silver Max and everyone else running for 2 nd in my opinion.
No... I think Summer Front, Lucky Chappy, and Optimizer will run Silver Max down.