• There will be a Pick Six carryover of $167,021 when racing resumes Friday at Los Alamitos.Posted 2 hours ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $42,460 when racing resumes Thursday at Los Alamitos.Posted 1 day ago
  •  Assateague goes wire to wire in the Dr. James Penny Memorial!Posted 2 days ago
  • Clearly Now breaks the 7f track record at Belmont - 1:19.96.Posted 5 days ago
  • There will be a Pick Six carryover of $28,880 when racing resumes July 4 at Los Al.Posted 6 days ago
  • 1-9 Frac Daddy upset by Sky Captain in the Dominion Day! Posted 9 days ago
  •  Size holds off Ria Antonia in the Iowa Oaks!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Declassify game in the Triple Bend!Posted 12 days ago
  •  Riposte proves best in the New York Handicap!Posted 12 days ago

Calvin Borel Still Without Kentucky Derby Mount

Calvin Borel recently worked Stay Thirsty but Ramon Dominguez was given the mount for the Kentucky Derby.

Is it possible that the winning Derby rider in three of the last four years will be without a mount on the first Saturday in May?

Horses pointing to the Derby that still need a rider are Master of Hounds and Twinspired.

Uncle Mo's stablemate Stay Thirsty, owned by Mike Repole and trained by Todd Pletcher, won the Gotham Stakes (G3) under Ramon Dominguez before finishing up the track in the Florida Derby (G1). He drilled a five furlong bullet in 1:00 at Churchill Downs on April 24.

Older Comments about Calvin Borel Still Without Kentucky Derby Mount...

If it turns up muddy and he gets in, I'll be watching
cocoa- no one thought MTB had much of a kick either. I think Den's Legacy has a kick somewhere in there, it just needs to be unlocked. And this is one horse that I think would do VERY well in the mud against others.
Interesting. Den's Legacy doesn't have as much of a kick... hope he doesn't ride Mylute, he hates going inside of horses. Hope the lute picks up Desormeaux
Now that I've gotten to the thinking about it.....I actually would like to see him aboard Den's Legacy
He will easily get a ride..still at least 13-15 spots up for grabs. May not be the best horse, but as we've seen, that doesn't always matter with Borel
If I was a trainer with a horse in the derby, and they were predicting mud, I'd pick Bo-rail in a heartbeat
His horse is one to watch
It seems kind of ironic, that Todd Pletcher's only Derby victory(Super Saver) is thanks to Calvin. If a jockey has multiple horses to opt from(highly likely), Calvin would be a nice backup plan. Remember(this might also apply to Super Saver), he had never ridden Mine That Bird prior to his victory.
I'm pulling for Calvin again. He's the best!
Master of Hounds is my bet.
I'm sure Calvin will get in.