• Unique Bella is off the Kentucky Oaks trail with a sore shin, per Steve Anderson.Posted 1 day ago
  • Hence (10-1) rallies to win the Sunland Park Derby going away.Posted 3 days ago
  • Ghalia (2-1) edges a game Kell Paso in the Sunland Park Oaks.Posted 3 days ago
  • Itsinthepost (6-1) drives home the win in the Grade 2 San Luis Rey.Posted 4 days ago
  • Fear the Cowboy (7-2) comes running late to capture the Grade 3 Skip Away.Posted 4 days ago
  • Fast and Accurate (24-1) bursts through to upset the Grade 3 Spiral.Posted 4 days ago
  • Purely a Dream (12-1) pulls ahead in the stretch to take the Grade 3 Bourbonette Oaks.Posted 4 days ago
  • Arrogate, despite a dreadful break, wins the Dubai World Cup easily.Posted 4 days ago
  • Jack Hobbs is much the best in the Sheema Classic.Posted 4 days ago
  • Vivlos flies late to get up for the win in the $6 million Dubai Turf.Posted 4 days ago

Calvin Borel Still Without Kentucky Derby Mount

Calvin Borel recently worked Stay Thirsty but Ramon Dominguez was given the mount for the Kentucky Derby.

Is it possible that the winning Derby rider in three of the last four years will be without a mount on the first Saturday in May?

Horses pointing to the Derby that still need a rider are Master of Hounds and Twinspired.

Uncle Mo's stablemate Stay Thirsty, owned by Mike Repole and trained by Todd Pletcher, won the Gotham Stakes (G3) under Ramon Dominguez before finishing up the track in the Florida Derby (G1). He drilled a five furlong bullet in 1:00 at Churchill Downs on April 24.

Older Comments about Calvin Borel Still Without Kentucky Derby Mount...

If it turns up muddy and he gets in, I'll be watching
cocoa- no one thought MTB had much of a kick either. I think Den's Legacy has a kick somewhere in there, it just needs to be unlocked. And this is one horse that I think would do VERY well in the mud against others.
Interesting. Den's Legacy doesn't have as much of a kick... hope he doesn't ride Mylute, he hates going inside of horses. Hope the lute picks up Desormeaux
Now that I've gotten to the thinking about it.....I actually would like to see him aboard Den's Legacy
He will easily get a ride..still at least 13-15 spots up for grabs. May not be the best horse, but as we've seen, that doesn't always matter with Borel
If I was a trainer with a horse in the derby, and they were predicting mud, I'd pick Bo-rail in a heartbeat
His horse is one to watch
It seems kind of ironic, that Todd Pletcher's only Derby victory(Super Saver) is thanks to Calvin. If a jockey has multiple horses to opt from(highly likely), Calvin would be a nice backup plan. Remember(this might also apply to Super Saver), he had never ridden Mine That Bird prior to his victory.
I'm pulling for Calvin again. He's the best!
Master of Hounds is my bet.
I'm sure Calvin will get in.