• Lady Shipman breezes home much the best in Belmont's License Fee.Posted 13 hours ago
  • Ben's Cat sprints home late to win his 10yo seasonal debut in thrilling fashion.Posted 16 hours ago
  • Minding shows her class, easily winning the 1000 Guineas.Posted 19 hours ago
  • Uncle Lino digs in to win the inaugural California Chrome Stakes.Posted 1 day ago
  • A Lot holds off favored Green Mask by a whisker to win the Elusive Quality.Posted 1 day ago
  • Galileo Gold, under Frankie Dettori, rolls in the 2000 Guineas.Posted 1 day ago
  • Olorda takes them all the way in the Bewitch Stakes on closing day at Keeneland.Posted 2 days ago
  • Nyquist will get in his final Kentucky Derby workout Friday afternoon at Keeneland.Posted 5 days ago
  • Time and Motion wins the Memories of Silver for Jimmy Toner.Posted 7 days ago
  • Finest City sets new track record in Great Lady M.Posted 8 days ago

Calm Before the Storm for Baffert Runners

Del Mar logo

Last Friday morning, when quiet reigned in the Del Mar stable area, Bernie Schiappa and Kaleem Shah could be found sitting next to each other on the elevated observation stand along the backstretch.

Schiappa, one of the owners of Game On Dude, and Shah, whose stable includes 2012 El Cajon Stakes winner Fed Biz, are major clients for Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert.

“I’ve been coming here for 27 years,” Schiappa said. “From the old grandstand to the new one. I don’t know which one I like better. But it’s always good to be back at Del Mar .”

“I love Del Mar,” Shah said. “It’s the only place where I get to see my horses run.”

Game On Dude, fresh from a victory in the Hollywood Gold Cup on July 6, shipped in late last week and is a possibility to run in the $1 million TVG Pacific Classic for the third straight year. Former Yankees and Dodgers manager Joe Torre is one of Schiappa’s partners in Game On Dude. Torre, occupied this week with Major League Baseball’s All Star Game, is expected to visit Del Mar in the near future.

Shah will get to see two of his horses run on Opening Day, My Lucky Rose in the fifth race and Mananado in the sixth, the first division of the Oceanside Stakes.

And Fed Biz on Saturday in the $300,000 Eddie Read Stakes.