• Long shot Stormy Lucy (65-1) upsets the Matriarch (G1) at Del Mar in the last stride. Posted 1 day ago
  • Dortmund romps home a winner in the Native Diver.Posted 2 days ago
  • Commissioner much the best in the Hawthorne Gold Cup.Posted 2 days ago
  • Chiropractor edges March for a Hollywood Derby win at 14-1.Posted 2 days ago
  • Airoforce takes to the dirt in a big way, pulling away to win the Kentucky Jockey Club.Posted 2 days ago
  • Carina Mia turns back Stageplay in the Golden Rod.Posted 2 days ago
  • Tonalist with a late rush to just get up in the Cigar Mile!Posted 2 days ago
  • Forever Unbridled outduels Carrumba to the wire in the Comely.Posted 2 days ago
  • Mohaymen an impressive winner of Aqueduct's nine furlong Remsen.Posted 2 days ago
  • Lewis Bay runs to her odds in the Demoiselle.Posted 2 days ago

Calm Before the Storm for Baffert Runners

Del Mar logo

Last Friday morning, when quiet reigned in the Del Mar stable area, Bernie Schiappa and Kaleem Shah could be found sitting next to each other on the elevated observation stand along the backstretch.

Schiappa, one of the owners of Game On Dude, and Shah, whose stable includes 2012 El Cajon Stakes winner Fed Biz, are major clients for Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert.

“I’ve been coming here for 27 years,” Schiappa said. “From the old grandstand to the new one. I don’t know which one I like better. But it’s always good to be back at Del Mar .”

“I love Del Mar,” Shah said. “It’s the only place where I get to see my horses run.”

Game On Dude, fresh from a victory in the Hollywood Gold Cup on July 6, shipped in late last week and is a possibility to run in the $1 million TVG Pacific Classic for the third straight year. Former Yankees and Dodgers manager Joe Torre is one of Schiappa’s partners in Game On Dude. Torre, occupied this week with Major League Baseball’s All Star Game, is expected to visit Del Mar in the near future.

Shah will get to see two of his horses run on Opening Day, My Lucky Rose in the fifth race and Mananado in the sixth, the first division of the Oceanside Stakes.

And Fed Biz on Saturday in the $300,000 Eddie Read Stakes.