• Far Right shoots up the rail again to score in the Southwest Stakes. Posted 4 days ago
  • Khozan demolishes a Gulfstream Park allowance field to remain perfect in two starts. Posted 4 days ago
  • No beating North Slope as he returns to dirt a winner in the Evening Attire. Posted 4 days ago
  •  International Star scrapes the paint to win the Risen Star.Posted 5 days ago
  • I'm A Chatterbox speaks loud and clear in the Rachel Alexandra. Posted 5 days ago
  • Itsaknockout wins the Fountain of Youth on the DQ of Upstart. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Chocolate Ride sneaks away in the Fair Grounds Handicap.Posted 5 days ago
  • Long On Value clearly Best in the Canadian Turf. Posted 5 days ago
  •  Street Babe surprise the Mineshaft field at Fair Grounds.Posted 5 days ago
  • Main Sequence storms home late to win the Mac Diarmida! Posted 5 days ago

Called to Serve Fires Another Big 'Cap Bullet

Called to Serve registered his third straight bullet work in preparation for the Santa Anita Handicap when he went five furlongs on Santa Anita’s fast main track Friday in 59.20 with Gary Stevens up. The Hall of Fame rider, who turns 50 on March 6, has the mount in the Big ’Cap.

“I got him in 59 and one and had him home in (one) 23 flat (for seven furlongs) and out the three-quarters in (one) 10 and three,” said trainer Nick Canani, son of trainer Julio Canani, who won the Santa Anita Handicap in 1989 with 50-1 shot Martial Law.

“I was very pleased with the work. He worked great. He did it the right way and I really couldn’t ask for much more. I’m happy that Gary breezed him a second time (he was aboard for a six-furlong bullet in 1:13 2/5 on Feb. 16. Prior to that, Called to Serve worked five furlongs at Belmont Park on Feb. 1 in a bullet 1:00 3/5).

“I know Gary’s got to go to New Orleans (he rides at the Fair Grounds on Saturday) and catch a plane this morning, but I think having him work him one more time allowed them to get to know each other a little bit better. The second time’s always better than the first.”

As far as digesting and planning pre-race strategy, Canani was understandably ambivalent. “I don’t think we can change our horse’s style,” said Canani, who trains the stretch-running son of Afleet Alex for owner Marc Ferrell. “I really think the mile and a quarter’s going to benefit us. I think that’s the horse’s true distance and what he really wants to do.

“The best horse will prevail, hopefully.”

Other Big ’Cap workers Friday included Strub Stakes runner-up Stephanoatsee, who went six furlongs in company with an unnamed Richard Mandella 3-year-old in 1:14.80, while San Antonio runner-up Clubhouse Ride went seven furlongs in 1:25.20 for trainer Craig Lewis.

“He went well,” trainer Graham Motion said of Stephanoatsee before catching a flight back East. “He worked in company because he’s not a good work horse, but I was happy with his effort.”

Older Comments about Called to Serve Fires Another Big 'Cap Bullet...

I think this horse is just starting to come into his own. He could be a serious horse in the handicap division in 2013. Of course, the litmus test is the Big Cap -- best of luck to him and the kid, G Stevens.