• Abel Tasman (12-1) gets up in time to beat American Gal in the Grade 1 Starlet.Posted 11 hours ago
  • Mastery (1-5) shrugs off his competition in the Grade 1 Los Alamitos CashCall Futurity.Posted 12 hours ago
  • Party Boat (5-2) gets her head down to win the Wait a While.Posted 13 hours ago
  • Fact Finding (8-5) draws clear of the Smooth Air field and keeps a perfect record.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Lovable Lady (12-1) blasts away in the Willa On the Move Stakes.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Paulassilverlining (1-9) makes easy work of the Garland of Roses field.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Sonic Mule (3-1) keeps the wins for Todd Pletcher rolling in the Buffalo Man.Posted 14 hours ago
  • Tapwrit (3-2) holds off stablemate Master Plan to win the Pulpit.Posted 15 hours ago
  • Lirica (5-2) finds a clear path to take the Hut Hut Stakes.Posted 17 hours ago
  • Bode's Dream (5-2) returns victorious in the House Party to remain undefeated.Posted 17 hours ago

Called to Serve Fires Another Big 'Cap Bullet

Called to Serve registered his third straight bullet work in preparation for the Santa Anita Handicap when he went five furlongs on Santa Anita’s fast main track Friday in 59.20 with Gary Stevens up. The Hall of Fame rider, who turns 50 on March 6, has the mount in the Big ’Cap.

“I got him in 59 and one and had him home in (one) 23 flat (for seven furlongs) and out the three-quarters in (one) 10 and three,” said trainer Nick Canani, son of trainer Julio Canani, who won the Santa Anita Handicap in 1989 with 50-1 shot Martial Law.

“I was very pleased with the work. He worked great. He did it the right way and I really couldn’t ask for much more. I’m happy that Gary breezed him a second time (he was aboard for a six-furlong bullet in 1:13 2/5 on Feb. 16. Prior to that, Called to Serve worked five furlongs at Belmont Park on Feb. 1 in a bullet 1:00 3/5).

“I know Gary’s got to go to New Orleans (he rides at the Fair Grounds on Saturday) and catch a plane this morning, but I think having him work him one more time allowed them to get to know each other a little bit better. The second time’s always better than the first.”

As far as digesting and planning pre-race strategy, Canani was understandably ambivalent. “I don’t think we can change our horse’s style,” said Canani, who trains the stretch-running son of Afleet Alex for owner Marc Ferrell. “I really think the mile and a quarter’s going to benefit us. I think that’s the horse’s true distance and what he really wants to do.

“The best horse will prevail, hopefully.”

Other Big ’Cap workers Friday included Strub Stakes runner-up Stephanoatsee, who went six furlongs in company with an unnamed Richard Mandella 3-year-old in 1:14.80, while San Antonio runner-up Clubhouse Ride went seven furlongs in 1:25.20 for trainer Craig Lewis.

“He went well,” trainer Graham Motion said of Stephanoatsee before catching a flight back East. “He worked in company because he’s not a good work horse, but I was happy with his effort.”

Older Comments about Called to Serve Fires Another Big 'Cap Bullet...

I think this horse is just starting to come into his own. He could be a serious horse in the handicap division in 2013. Of course, the litmus test is the Big Cap -- best of luck to him and the kid, G Stevens.