Trainer Donnie Von Hemel issued an upbeat bulletin on Friday as Caleb’s Posse continues his
preparations for the Grade 1, $400,000 Carter Handicap on April 7.
Caleb’s Posse, owned by McNeill Stables and Cheyenne Stables,
breezed five furlongs in a bullet :59 4/5 at Oaklawn Park on Tuesday in what
was his second workout since finishing a hard-charging second to Calibrachoa in
the March 3 Grade 3 Tom Fool Handicap on the inner track.
“It was a nice work,” said Von Hemel. “We’re
happy and we’re looking forward to making the trip. It was standard for
the way he’s been going over the track. It wasn’t
Von Hemel hasn’t determined whether Caleb’s Posse, winner
of the 2011 Grade 1 Foxwoods King’s Bishop and Grade 1 Breeders’
Cup Dirt Mile, will have another breeze between now and the seven-furlong
“I always a have a plan in my head, but I try not to be too stiff
about it,” said Von Hemel, who added that Caleb’s Posse on Tuesday will
fly from Memphis to Newark before vanning to Aqueduct.
The Carter is expected to attract a select field, with five-time graded
stakes winner Calibrachoa, Tom
Fool third-place finisher Emcee,
Grade 1 Forego victor Jackson Bend,
Grade 1 Preakness hero Shackleford,
and Tahitian Warrior expected to
face Caleb’s Posse.
“It’s a Grade 1 and has a big purse, so it’s supposed
to be a tough race,” said Von Hemel. “We’re happy and ready
to give them a whirl.”
* * *
Final works for Chad Brown’s trio of Resorts World Casino New
York City Wood Memorial Day stakes runners are planned for this weekend, with a
final decision on breezes dependent on the weather.
Brown has Street Life,
winner of the March 17 Broad Brush overnight stakes at Aqueduct, for the Wood
Memorial and is looking at the seven-furlong Bay Shore Stakes for both Hardened Wildcat and Beggarthyneighbor. The latter duo most
recently finished 1-2 respectively in the $100,000 Fred “Cappy”
Capossela at Aqueduct on March 10.
“Street Life is supposed to work tomorrow, weather
pending,” said Brown’s assistant, Cherie DeVaux. “It’s
supposed to rain a little bit tonight and all day tomorrow, so it depends on
what they do with the racetrack. If they seal it, we won’t breeze, and
we’ll wait until Sunday with all three of them.”
DeVaux said all three horses would work over the Belmont Park