• Family Tree game down the lane in winning the Iowa Oaks.Posted 35 minutes ago
  • Minding rolls home an easy winner of the Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes at The Curragh.Posted 4 days ago
  • Melatonin powers home a strong winner of the Gold Cup at Santa Anita.Posted 5 days ago
  • Lord Nelson lunges late to nip Subtle Indian in the Triple Bend.Posted 5 days ago
  • By the Moon proves best in the Grade 3 Bed O' Roses at Belmont Park.Posted 5 days ago
  • Mo Tom finds a trouble free trip, and rolls home an easy Ohio Derby winner.Posted 5 days ago
  • Isabella Sings strolls to victory in Monmouth's Eatontown.Posted 5 days ago
  • Sarah Sis makes all the running as the Chicago Handicap favorite.Posted 5 days ago
  • Harzand holds off Idaho in the Irish Derby to become a dual Derby winnerPosted 5 days ago
  • Far From Over wins his return today at Belmont after more than 16 months away.Posted 6 days ago

Calder: My Pal Chrisy Surprises

Tony’s Investments’ 3-year-old filly My Pal Chrisy was the surprise winner of the $75,000 Stage Door Betty Handicap at Calder Casino & Race Course on Saturday, upsetting the field of five as the 14-to-1 longshot. She is trained by Padarath Lutchman and was ridden to victory by jockey Luca Panici.

My Pal Chrisy ran the 1 1/16 miles over a fast main track in 1:47.38, defeating Successful Song by a half-length.  It was two lengths back to Diosa Indian in third.

It marked the fifth career victory for the Florida-bred filly and her first stakes win.  At the mutuel windows, My Pal Chrisy paid $30.40, $6.00, and $3.20.

Winning trainer’s quotes:

Padarath Lutchman — “I’ve always thought she would go a mile. She just wasn’t strong enough when I tried her in the Suncoast at Tampa Bay early this year (last of 10). This is my first stakes win. I’m from Trinidad. I’ve been training here (Calder) for about four years now. I don’t look ahead, just one race at a time, so I haven’t thought about where she might run next.”

Winning jockey’s quotes:

Luca Panici – “The key to this filly running good is getting her to relax early, but not fall too far back that she loses interest in the race.  She has done well sprinting when the pace isn’t too fast, like in the Azalea Stakes (where she finished third), but Mr. Lutchman felt she would do even better going around two turns at this point in her career.  She settled perfectly today and I just waited until the others made their move, then I made mine at the quarter-pole and she fired big time.”